I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ist bumper wrap
Posted by: Harold Lang (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 11:07PM

I layed out a CJBF70H, which is a fast action composit for 50# and did a static guide placement with the guides on the top like a conventional.
I expected this to place the guides to properly load the blank.
They came out pretty close to a factory wrap placement.
I then flipped all but the stripper to 180.
Distance from the stripper to the first guide at 180 is 10".
I then loaded the rod with 15#, and found the bumper would go half way between the stripper and second guide, set at 180.
With load on the rod, the line does not contact the first guide at 180, nor does the rod bend much that far down the blank.
(The line will contact the guide if I load it up to 20# of drag, which is beyond what I'll normally pull on that rod.)

Do I have a problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ist bumper wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:38AM

Your set up sounds perfect. What you may want to do is use a smaller/lower-frame guide at the first 180 degree location than you do for all the rest of the underside guides.

I've had this happen with lot of various spiral wrap set ups over the years and have nearly always found that I wind up using a smaller/lower-frame guide at the first 180 degree position.

The idea that guides sizes have to get progressively larger towards the butt is not something that must be adhered to. Use the sizes you need to achieve what you want.

Posted by: Harold Lang (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:32PM

Thanx Tom. I considered that. I had read a thread about a rod breaking, presumably because the line didn't contact the first guide, and created too much stress on the blank.
As this section of the rod, is barely flexing on this blank, I don't think it will be a concern.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ontr)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:43PM

Howzit Hal! Glad to see you took the plunge! I think you will be very please with your rod! Using the bumperguide, simple spiral system is the easiest & quickest way to set up Acid rods! I won't be going back to any other set up!

Hook'em brah!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster