I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fishing Rod Building Class for 120 Fifth Graders
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 02:51PM

Well in the photos pages I have just got done loading up a few pictures of the rod building class that I am doing at one of the Schools here in my town I live in. The school I did this class at is a Charter 1 School which means that all the kids come from a low income families. My Company donated all of the rod kits and Gudebrod helped me with the thread and coating. Which we are all thankful for their continued support in the future of kids and fishing. Just two weeks ago the kids got to go to the pine country and spend 4 days up there camping. Now you all have to realize none of these kids have ever been able to experience going to the pine country let alone being away from their parents for that long of a time. From chatting with some of the kids while teaching them how to build their own fishing rods, some of them can't even afford to own their own fishing rod. So it made us feel good that not only are they learning how to build a fishing rod but will also be able to take them home with them. I have a construction company that said they will be willing to donate the fishing reels for their new fishing rods. This past Friday it was great to see the kids and teachers as they all had smiles on their faces. The first day we did the class none of the teachers or assistant principle new what was involved in building a fishing rod but by the end of that first class they thought WOW!! and this past Friday the principle came in the room and she had a great big smile on her face and she said where were you when I was their age. I had to laugh at her and say well I wasn't born yet. She said this is so neat of you to come do this for the kids. She then said I think all of your instructors and yourself are enjoying it as much as the kids are. I said yes it is so enjoyable to see the smiles on thier faces. And then I said would love to be there when they catch their first fish on there fishing rod. What was interesting the first week the teachers didn't have a camera but by the next week the camera's were everywhere. I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fishing Rod Building Class for 120 Fifth Graders
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 03:35PM

Outstanding effort Neal. This is real hands on help and all I can say "Bless You" for giving of youself and your time to make a difference in someones life. Wish I was close enough to give you a hand. Thank you for sharing this. May your efforts be returned 10 fold.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 03:54PM

Fantastic!!! My hat's off to you! Who else but rod builders.....................

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 06:25PM

Thanks for sharing this, Neal. You really wrote that from the heart; pretty easy to tell that. Proud of ya for doing this for the kids!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: dave schaub (---.ev1.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 08:51PM

Outstanding. Maybe other folks can do something like that in their schools. I have been thinking about volunteering or doing something in the schools here when I retire.
Great Stuff Neal.

Dave

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 11:56PM

This is the way we spread our addiction. A LOT WORSE THINGS KIDS CAN DO THAN BUILD RODS.......Way to go Neal.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 08:23AM

That's outstanding Neal!

Now that he got em all hooked, anybody else picturing Neal in a trenchcoat, hiding in a dark alley "Psst... Hey kid... wanna buy a rod blank"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster