I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transition Rings
Posted by: Alan Royce (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 08:36AM

First thanks to all for all the great info I have gained by reading the forum.

I am starting to play with wood grips and have seen what I believe are plexiglass rings that are used to transition between two different materials such as cork and wood. Are they plexiglass or something else and are there other types of material that are used. Plus could you tell me where are some places I might find these types of materials.

Thanks Alan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transition Rings
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 09:02AM

Alan,
I believe the rings you have seen are probably made from 1" lucite dowel rods. They are the same material bowling balls are made from. the material lathes well and can be fine sanded and polished to a high shine with a buffing wheel. It comes in different lengths but the preferred diameter is 1". It also comes in different colors. However, some color options are a transparent look and are subject to show the blank through the color so stick with the solid colors or darker transparent ones. If you buy 2 60" lengths of black and white....you'll have plenty for trim bands for alot of rods.

A quick google of Lucite rods will return alot of different results for industrial plastics companies. Be careful and do not purchase acrylic rods. These look similar but are very brittle and not as easy to work with.

Another material used for trim bands is Corian countertop material. comes in alot of colors including black and white. It is 1/2 inch thick sheets and can be cut into rings using a holesaw 1 1/4" with a 1/4 inch pilot. This material can be lathed, sanded and polished to a shiny finish as well. You are limited to 1/2" thick rings because of the thickness unless your really good with a belt sander.

Both materials are completely weather proof and perfect for rod building. However without a lathe to turn them, I wouldn't recommend using either as sanding from a raw state to finished product would be almost impossible.

I'm sure some others could post a few links to where the lucite rods are available at. search the site here for lucite and a few links will show up from earlier posts on this topic.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 11:06AM

You can use any type of plastics you can find. When you go food shopping, check the colors of the dinner plats that they have, they can also be doubled up for thicker ones if need be. The list is almost endless.
Different types of woods. A little imagination.

Posted by: Alan Royce (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 07:02AM

Thank you both. Work has been nuts so I have not had time to start my search, maybe sometime this week end but now I at least have an idea of what I am after.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster