I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foecast 6'6" 2wt
Posted by: Daniel Rees (---.lns2-c7.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 14, 2006 05:03AM

I've just recieved my 2wt Forecast kit from Bob at Hok and Hackle. After looking at the reel seat and grip i've decided i'm going to put these on a 9' 5wt IMX which i've been meaning to rebuild for a while. It was my first build and wasn't the best of jobs!

My question is - I now need to find myself a suitable reel seat and grip for the 2wt. Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe small metal seat hardware with a cork spacer??

I'm open to all opinions so anything you think may be cool on this rod, try me.

Also should I put different guides on while i'm at it? I was thinking SF wire instead of the snakes in the kit. What make? Sanke Brand, Forecast etc?

Cheers for all your help. It's amazing for a an inexperienced builder to be able to have contact with proffesionals for advice.

Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foecast 6'6" 2wt
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: May 14, 2006 07:11AM

Hi Daniel,

I think you are right - I would also go with a screwed seat because I do not loke too much the ones with a slide piece (would damage the cork or teh wooden spacer by time I assume).

If I would be in yr place I would check with Struble, REC or Batson - also depending on the money you intend to spend. All of them have some nice skeleton seats which are also suitable for a class 2 rod.

In regard of the guides I would recommend to go with single foot guides because the blank does not require too much weight - I assume it is a RX 6 blank.

OK. Now lunch is ready I have to go. Keep me posted if you like about the outcome, I am thinking to build up also something similar from the RX6 range for light river fishing.

RGDS,
Ole

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: May 14, 2006 08:07AM

Dan... Some thoughts on a reel seat for this blank... Consider Pac Bay A5 hardware with a cork insert. This hardware is super light aluminum and the cork insert is easy to turn on a drill lathe. For the guides... If you change your mind and decide on traditional snakes, consider the Pac Bay or Hopkins & Holloway light wire guides. Hook & Hackle carries Pac Bay light wire guides (very inexpensive). Be careful with the grips in the light weight blank kits. The diameter of the blank butt is smaller than the bore in most off-the-shelf grips. Unless you want to try and build up the blank with thread you may have to turn your own grips for these blanks. (Cabela's carries fair quality rings with a small bore and other vendors carry unbored rings. I bought some unbored rings from a cork company in Canada for two of theses blanks.) Shoff Tackle used to carry excellent rings with a small bore, but they discontinued this item a year ago, unfortunately. Regards, Vance

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: May 14, 2006 11:28AM

daniel, personally, i love the cap and ring style downlocking reel seats, use them on all of my four and three weight rods so far and i'm thinking of that blank as well someday, especially since i picked up a 2wt line reecfntly for a great price. i can provide more details, but aluminum hardware is great. check out the REC, struble, bellinger offerings in downlocking cap and ring seats. i don't care for cork inserts. seems overkill trying to loighten everything so much and the one cork reel seat i have doesn't seem to grab very well. the use of aluminum rings works very well with holding the reel. a coule of other companies offer some very nice, classic looking cap and ring DL seats. look on the internet for rush river rods, and jim bureau's reel seats offerings. there's also golden witch, a sponsor found to the left.

a side note, i didn;t like the look of DL cap and rings either at first, but once i tried one, it grew on my to the point that my initial stock of uplocking screw reel seats sits unused in a bag in the garage.

if i was using snakes, i'd lok into the light wire snakes as well, but my first thought would be the single foot wires. i'm very fond of the titanium finished guides and usually use pac bay, although batson is another great option.

good luck. let me know if you want model details for the reel seats. i'm going to be late for mother's day brunch.... :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2006 05:47PM

I like the cork insert and the cap & ring down locking seat for the 2wt. I also like a wood insert. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: May 15, 2006 09:43AM

Jann's Netcraft sells a nice cork grip with 2 aluminum rings that is very light and would balance that rig nicely. I think it's only $10 or so.

Posted by: dave potts (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: May 15, 2006 03:38PM

I used the cork handle from Jann's that Jeff referred to and was quite pleased with it. I used it on a 6 ft 6 in 2 wt Pac Bay blank along with single foot guides.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster