I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lowest reel seat??
Posted by: Jonathan Young (68.30.67.---)
Date: May 13, 2006 12:33AM

What is the lowest trigger reel seat made for a casting rod? I want a reel seat that basically lets the reel sit directly on the blank so the reel is easier to palm. I have tried all the traditional low profile exposed trigger seats available to my knowledge and haven't found what I want. Anyone know of a lower profile seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lowest reel seat??
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: May 13, 2006 05:08AM

Would you be better off trying to find a seat with a smaller ID so that it fits tighter to the blank? Have you tried a seat that was a bit too small and reaming it to fit? Maybe I'm missing the question?

Jay

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: May 13, 2006 09:17AM

Jonathan,
Have you tried taking as much of the bottom of the exposed blank reelseat as you can off? It will feel smaller, depending on the blank diameter, there isn't much meat on the top. On a reelseat with a 15 mm hole there might be a mm of graphite there. If the blank is smaller you could ream the reelseat offset towards the top to pull it down some, but I think it would be noticably offset on the blank plus everything else would also have to be offset to match.
Quite a few times years ago some customers asked about the same thing, but the reels weren't as "palmable" and low as they are now. Anyway a lot of them were happy just with an angle change in the grip and reelseat that was accomplished by using the Wiebe realseat and cork. (it rolls your thumb a little higher on the reel naturally.) It uses cork grips and reelseat that were drilled offset at the factory, but nothing looks offset on the finished rod.
The good people at Custom Tackle had some left last time I needed one, they could also give you a better discription than I'm doing here.

Posted by: Jonathan Young (68.30.36.---)
Date: May 13, 2006 01:37PM

Thanks for the tips, I guess no one makes the reel seat I'm looking for. Where can you find the wiebe reelseat? I looked on the Custom Tackle website but couldn't find it. Is there a chance that G. Loomis used this reel seat on there GLX line about 5-7 yrs ago? I have a MBR 783C with a reel seat that says gloomis on it and it is lower than any fuji etc. It has the offset cork that is raised to meet the reel seat. I'm wondering if this is a wiebe reel seat?

Date: May 13, 2006 02:04PM

That's the seat, Loomis just had some made with their name on them. The Wiebe seats were in the handle/grip kit section if I remember right.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.20.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 03:51PM

Funny, I was just thinking about this subject yesterday. I have a number of old Ambassadeurs, and a couple of older rods with the Featherweight handles. These are the ones with pistol grip, that are not blank through. The design puts the center of gravity of the reel very low, almost centered with the blank. Every time I put one of the old Abus on a blank through, it just feels so imbalanced. I guess it is not possible to get the Featherweight handles anymore, but for the bigger reels, it really was a much better design.
Looked at the Wiebe handles on the Custom Tackle site, but it doesn't appear the same.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Jonathan Young (---.imt.uwm.edu)
Date: May 13, 2006 05:39PM

Thanks, that is a reel seat I was looking for. I wonder how hard it would be to put a graphite handle on it instead of cork. I still wish someone would make a reel seat that held the reel lower to the blank.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 06:23PM

Maybe make one yourself? Tommy tape the reel to the blank. Maybe a really small ID Tennessee handle with an IPS trigger ? Since there isn't what you want on teh market, gotta improvise and trial and error.

Date: May 13, 2006 06:46PM

I have been trying to modify various types of reelseats and have a couple that will work but they don't have a finished look to them due to the grinding from the dremel. I may try to machine one from scratch when I have time.

Date: May 13, 2006 06:54PM

I've put graphite tube grips on Wiebes before, the fun part is getting the arbors to match, I did that by using the reelseat as a drill guide, I glued the angle cut arbor to the back of the reelseat than ran the drill bit through the reelseat and arbor front to back. the butt arbor is just a centered arbor.

Date: May 13, 2006 09:24PM

thanks spencer, I'll try that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas65.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2006 09:03AM

Maybe one of the plate type seats may work ?
[shop.mudhole.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster