I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting e.v.a.
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 03:02PM

Something I have noticed when cutting eva. I had some blocks that I was cutting down on my table saw with a brand new thin blade. After a few cuts it seems that the eva dulled the blade pretty quickly. It will hardly cut through a 2x4 now. I also made some cuts on my bandsaw with a brand new blade. Everything was fine for a while and now it seems that if I try to cut anything on it, the blade wants to turn to one side and it really doesn't want to cut through anything. Anybody else experience this? Thought it was just that my bandsaw was outta tune but the table saw blade seems to be dull also.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting e.v.a.
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 10, 2006 03:07PM

Is it possible that teh EVA heated up, and bonded around the blade? This happens when I sand at 4000RPM and use drywall sanding screen. The EVA is so hot that it clogs in teh small squares, and if I do not immediately vacuum the screen, when teh EVA cools it's pretty much an EVA screen

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 03:29PM

steve
when i cut eva i use a miter box and a new razor blade (4 inch). It seems to work a lot better for me then the saw blades i have tried in the past and i hve even been able to cut very fine slices and using my pie cut jig i have had very fine cuts also. It wouold make sence to me that it would heat those blades up and dull them but thatws just a guess. Hope this helps

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2006 04:31PM

I can't imagine it would dull the blade but can easily see it doing what Billy suggests. Try cleaning the blades and see if that doesn't restore them. if not, then it's certainly something to watch out for.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 04:40PM

Tom,
I really couldn't see why it dull the blades either. The blades are clean and not a speck of eva on them. I could see the tablesaw blade getting too hot maybe but not the bandsaw blade. It doesn't turn that many rmps but then again it may not take a lot anyway. Gonna get some more blades and see what happens.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 05:11PM

Steve:
It will absolutely dull your blades. I work with a product for insolating plumbing pipes that has a similar chemical makeup, and it dulls blades pretty quickly. Has nothing to do with clogging the teeth. Even using hand saws to cut with will dull the blades, just not as fast. The teethe on your band saw blade are point set. Which means that every other tooth angles left then right. The reason your band saw wants to turn to one side while cutting is that the offset on one side has dulled faster then the other. If you take a sharpening stone and hold it flat against each side of the blade while it is running it will re-sharpen the blade. It will take out the point set so the blade will not cut as aggressively as it did before but it will cut straight and will save you from ruining another blade. Were gloves while holding the stone. I suggest tight fitting gloves as loose ones could snag in the blade and pull your fingers into it.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 05:23PM

I've never done any cutting of EVA in either manner, but a thought comes to mind of the possibility of using an abrasive type masonary blade in the table saw?

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: May 10, 2006 07:14PM

Steve,
Kinda feel like I'm talking to my self when I type that.LOL.....anyway that is some great information you posted. I had no idea. Would I use a stone on each side of the blade or just the one stone with nothing pressing against the blade from the other side?

Thanks for the info,
Steve

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 10:49PM

One side at a time

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 11:12PM

Steve,

I'm glad you posted this thread! I cut some block EVA about 3/8 inch for weave jigs. The first few cuts came out fine, but then the bandsaw blade seemed to wander off a bit. Glad I'm not along with that experience.

Stan

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 11, 2006 07:59AM

Steve - good post, I had no idea. I havent' done as much bandsaw work at all, but I did spend a few hours the one day I did and didn't notice a problem. Kind of surprising to hear EVA could wear down metal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster