I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: question for experienced rod builders
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 07:57PM

Lori,

I definitely think you should get Tom's book - it's invaluable for getting started and I speak from experience. I have a bunch of rodbuilding books, including Clemen's books. There all worthwhile and have some good info, but for getting on the right track at the beginning, you'll save yourself a lot of grief by several readings of Tom's book.

For threads, I almost always use Madeira Polyneon 40 or Sulky metallics for wrapping guides and butt wraps. As Mike pointed out, these polyester threads are a tad smaller in diameter than size A. They seem strong enough for the rods I build for light weight surf rods and for salty sounds and I haven't had any failures so far..

You'll be impressed with the comprehensive information and full-color photos in " Rod-Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman.

Stan

Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 11, 2006 01:02PM

I tried a 3/8" dowel. I thought it was too wimpy. Rather than go through the trouble of sanding and finishing a dowel, stop by an archery range or shop if there is one near you, or maybe you know a bowhunter or two. Carbon fiber arrow shafts work very well, and it's pretty easy to find a damaged one that will work well for wrapping. (Many times they develope a small crack at either end so they are unsafe to shoot) Some shafts are matt grey and some have a slick gloss finish. They do a good job of simulating the finish on a fishing rod blank.

Have fun!

Chuck

Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 08:30AM

My "set up" arrived yesterday! YEAH! :) And last night hubby took me to Barnes and Nobles to get Tom Kirkman's book. They were out of stock, so we ordered it and it should arrive sometime next Thurs. or Fri. Looked thru the garage and found some OLD rods that belonged to my brother that I am going to take apart and use for practice. Will also practice w/ dowel rods as well. I figure you can't practice too much. And a local rod builder told me I could come into his shop and watch him as well. SO hopefully I am off to a good start.
Thank you all for your help. It is GREATLY appreciated. Its just nice to know that if I run into a "snag" I will have A LOT of knowledgeable people to help me! Thank you all for being so kind and willing to help a newbie as myself. :)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster