I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weigh in on this power wrapper
Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:43PM

I've got an opportunity to get a Batson power wrapper for a pretty good price. Under 200.00 bucks actually. It's slight used but in pretty good shape. I'm dragging my feet because I haven't tried out a power wrapper and I don't really know enough about them to ask the right questions. I'm getting to a point in my rod building side biz that it makes sense economically to move into this stage of development and was wondering what folks thoughts are on Batson PW'rs vs Pac Bay or some of the others on the market. What features does one have that the others don't etc. Or should I just build my own? I do know that I want a self centering chuck on the head.
Thanks.
BjR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weigh in on this power wrapper
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:53PM

It's my understanding that the 3 of them are basically the same wrapper and the parts are all interchangeable. I would recommend getting the chuck upgrade from Pac Bay though.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: scott.bearden (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:03PM

I have a Batson power wrapper and enjoy using it. I cannot compare it to any others since it is the only power wrapper I have ever used. It does just fine for me for turning grips and wrapping.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:35PM

Brad,The Batson is the same unit as the Pac Bay and all parts interchange.The chuck upgrade is highly recomended(from Pac Bay).I have the Batson and like it a lot.Its not a Renzetti but for the hobbiest it does the job well.E-mail me if you need to know more.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:46PM

Fred,
Did I meet you at the Woodland, Washington rod building workshop last month?
BjR

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 05:27AM

No I`m from NJ.I was at the Charlotte show however.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 05:51AM

The Batson, Pac Bay, and I think American tackle are all alike. I bought a batson fairly cheap to do a project I have going. I have a OEM Flexcoat PW. I like the Batson really well but I had rather use my flexcoat, maybe because I am use to it. I did purchase the upgrade chuck head for the Batson. I wish the thread carriage was a little bigger on the Batson. I WISH I HAD A RENZETTI, but then i would have to borrow money from Mike and he charges a lot of interest........smile...........Your price is good and Karry Batson's company and products are great and more importantly great to work with and find out information from. Good luck. Have a good day. PS: I do find the Batson better to weave on than my Flexcoat.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster