I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides: Fuji vs Batson vs Amtack vs Pacbay....
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:25PM

So many types of guides out there now, how are you supposed to know which ones are good to use or the best quality without buying some of each? Good example black turbo guides with gold inserts. Pretty much all of the above companies have them except fuji. They sure look pretty, but when you only see them on a website or catalogue, its hard to know which one to go with when they all look the same. Same goes for the holographic guides.

I've had some of the Amtacks, now I've got some Pac-Bays Deep Pressed guides coming for a light sturgeon rod for my Dad's friend. Never seen them, hope their strong enough.

How do you guys do it? Find your favorite brand and stick with them? You can't go wrong with Fuji, but they are the only company who doesn't have the new inserts.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides: Fuji vs Batson vs Amtack vs Pacbay....
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:31PM

Phil, I think that they're all excellent quality and would suggest going with whichever company has the style/color that you like. Since, for the most part, guides are relatively inexpensive, I usually order a few extras everytime that I order. Doesn't take long to build up a variety.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:31PM

For a minute I thought you were working on another sheephead rod. Mind if I post a picture of you and one of your sheepheads? I will point out which one is the sheephead.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:41PM

What's going on Ellis? Long time no see. No problems posting the pics of the sheepies... My dad thought that was pretty cool... should have went to the pilings right off, would have had more time to fish.

I'm just pulling back into port today, have your package at home I'll be getting in the mail to you this week sometime. I've pretty much been underway since I've been here, finally get to go home and wrap some rods. :)

Thanks for the advice Mike. Any advice on metals and saltwater? SS vs brass, etc?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:26PM

Hiya, Phil - The ForeCast Turbo-style Guides, the Forecast “-ST-” Series – are not unduly massive, considering how strong they are. And they are remarkably flexible for so sturdy a frame and ring support. Available in 3 color combinations [www.FishSticks4U.com]:
Blue-Ring TiOx-PVD over Zirc ring, in a BLACK Chrome SS304 FRAME;
Grey-Ring AlOx ring, in a BLACK Chrome SS304 FRAME;
Grey-Ring AlOx ring, in a CHROME-plated SS304 FRAME.

FORECASTS & GUIDES – A MINI REVIEW [650 VIEWS & 13 REPLIES]
Cliff Hall 04-14-06 21:16 [www.rodbuilding.org]
"Today’s choices for guides and their selection can border on dizzying. For the newcomer & old-timer alike, keeping track of the code letters for the different guide styles is like keeping up with a foreign language. And leaving behind old habits can be hard to do. But CQI – “Constant Quality Improvement” – is the only way to go, and that’s why we are here at the RBO Forum. " - ETC, -Cliff Hall+++, et al.

Phil - Are you back in the USA, or still stationed in Nippon?

Posted by: Phil Richmond (206.39.111.---)
Date: May 07, 2006 10:34PM

My ship's forward deployed, meaning won't be coming "home" to the states anytime soon. So home for now is Yokosuka, Japan, at least for another 2 years and 9 months (we do three year tours here).

What's SS304, type of stainless?

Phil

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 05:33AM

Sorry your deployment has you in Japan.The Rod builders show in North Carolina is the perfect place to compare just about anything.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: May 08, 2006 06:13AM

Phil asks: "What's SS304, a type of stainless steel?"

Yes - I have no more specific information on SS304 Stainless Steel, with respect to hardness, corrosion resistance, or alloy composition. Batson-ForeCast and Berkley are using the SS304 in their guide frames. Maybe other brands are, too.

My GOOGLE Search didn't turn up much additional useful information. DO an RBO Search = "SS304" for all dates, all categories. Reports 64 Results. -Cliff Hall+++

Re: IFGA Class 50 Stand Up ... Cliff Hall ... 03/18/06 02:48PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Q: What is "304 'AUSTENITIC' Stainless Steel frames." ... ? I have heard of "SS304 Stainless Steel" metal used for guide frames (ex: Batson ForeCast), but not "austenitic" ... " ETC, ... Make sure to READ BILL STEVENS' REPLY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2006 06:17AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.184.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 07:23AM

hay Phil
Here is a thought, maybe you can find us stuff while you are there that we can not get over here ?

Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.for.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: May 08, 2006 07:28AM

I believe that:
304 Stainless Steel (SS304) contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel.
316 Stainless Stel (SS316) contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel and 2% molybdenum.
The molybdenum is to resist corrosion from salts (chlorides)

I have an engineering friend who says there is little difference but it really depends on the use and the size / thickness of the steel.
In a salty situation - if you are able to wash or maintain the SS304 or it is thick then you may find it quite suitable but if it is thin and not able to be maintain you may see a marked difference - also consider treatments to the stainless - Painting, Lanolin etc. to protect it.
Also consider whether the piece is to be welded as welding will change the properties to a degree and often corrosion starts here first.

Hope that is of some use
Robert

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:15AM

The stainless bolts you use on the ship are also 300 grade stainless, it's tough and takes working( flex, machining and stretch) well.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:42AM

I have put on quite a few Fuji guides and I don't have anything negative to say about any of them. It's just that when I tried my 1st set of SS304's, I liked the weight, performance, looks, and price of them so well that now a customer has to specifically request something else or he's gonna get SS304's.....thats just my 2 cents.

Steve Buchanan

Steve's Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas50.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 10:03AM

Cliff

How come the Batson guides are listed as SS04 and not SS304 ??
I found it listed as SS304 Fishsticks just took the 3 out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2006 10:09AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 11, 2006 11:31AM

Hiya, Bill Boettcher - Where did you see it listed as something other than SS304? ... I have not, anywhere. ...

I am completely confident that wherever you saw, or think you saw, such a designation of the stainless steel in the frames of Bill Batson's ForeCast Line Guides, that that is a typographical error in the text, or a (skipped a cup of coffee) glitch in the old memory bank (inter-ear-al hard drive). It happens, my friend.

The hard copy of the print Catalog for the ForeCast Components that I have right here has the description as "SS304" Stainless Steel" listed on 35 pages of the 41 pages of all their LINE GUIDES & TIP-TOPS. Each page has ~ 25 specific guide-styles / ring-sizes / ring-colors / frame-colors / tube-sizes, so that's nearly 900 confirmations of the SS304 designation.

The only other metal used in ForeCast Guides is BRASS, and ONLY for the TIP-TOPS in the SU-Series or ST-Series of TIP-TOPS. These all have either a double-plating of Black Chrome or Hard Chrome.

Also, at Robert Tignor's Dealer-Vendorr website at www.FishStick4U.com, the same confirmation of information is available. It's all SS304 or chrome-plated brass.

And all the metallurgical references on the web-internet and in the RBO Forum Threads use a SS-Series designation of "SS-300-something" Series, like Robert Heaton's Reply above, and Billy Stevens' Reply (referenced and Linked.)

Let me know if I need some re-education. Meanwhile, Bill, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it." ... Take Care, Bill. -Cliff Hall+++, FL-USA

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas66.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:49AM

Hay Cliff
Fishsticks has there guides listed as SS04. But I looked around and found it.

Date: May 11, 2006 03:26PM

Well, Bill, that "SS04" has to be a TYPOGRAPHICAL ERROR that should read "SS304". It happens.

I am sure that if you give Robert Tignor the EXACT location / Web-Page / on his Website that contains that error, that he would appreciate your help in this regard. (Don't want any confusion.) I think Kevin Smith is the FS4U partner who maintains the FS4U website.

"Robert Tignor" <[email protected]>
"Kevin Smith" <[email protected]>

-Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster