I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing a dried decal?
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 04:39PM

Put a decal on a butt wrap yesterday...Thought it looked great.

Looking at it this morning I notice a crease..small one..but it is there.
Is there a way to remove a dried on decal?

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing a dried decal?
Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: May 07, 2006 05:06PM

Keith,
If you do not have epoxy over it you should be able to just scrape it off with your finger nail. I have taken a number of them off in the past when I was not satisfied with how they looked after drying and was always able to get them off pretty easily by just scraping them with my finger nail.
If you have epoxy over it then that is a different kettle of fish. In that case you may be able to get something under the edge of the epoxy and peel it off if it has only been on a short period of time, say a few days or less.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 06:35PM

Micro Sol will soften it so it will come off easily. If you don't have any you can get it from Decal Connection.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 07, 2006 07:28PM

Put a piece of tape on it good and lift as much as you can with that, then use some water and your fingernail on the rest (unless you finished over it...).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.pinn.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 06:50AM

Better yet, if it's a water slide type decal - soak a small piece of paper napkin from the kitchen and place the piece of napkin over the decal for 15-20 min. Make sure it stays well soaked. Then remove napkin and carefully lift corner of decal up. I have done this a couple of times with no damage to the decal, and have been able to reposition/reuse the decal with no problems.

Do not rub or burnish on the decal directly or the decal will be damaged.

The wrinkle you mention - as the adhesive under the decal dries it shrinks, the decal material does not and wrinkles. For this reason I lay the decal on a drop or two of color preserver. I then get a piece of paper, regular lined school paper works fine for this, and lay a strip of thsi paper over the decal. I pull on the ends of the paper tight to tighten the paper against the decal squeezing excess moisture and cp from under the decal. I burnish the decal through the paper lightly, then remove paper. Wipe away any excess cp that has oozed out.

I haven't had any decal wrinkle doing this.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster