I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fudging a Fuji or fondling futility ?
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: May 07, 2006 03:20PM

Hi all,
I’ve had another idea but the processes and procedures in the build may be beyond my tooling so I thought I would check in here to see what others thoughts might be to the application of the part I have been thinking of customizing. The issue I am having with the parts I would like to customize is that they sit far to close to the rod blank and do not give me the free line flow I would like to have for myself and my customers. I could take the easy way out and sub another component in place of these tops but what fun would there be in that besides consistency in product type and model would be lost. The parts I am referring to are the Fuji Alconite tops, very nice looking components but they just sit too close to the rod blank for me to get proper casting alignment in a lot of situations.
The idea I have had came to me while aligning the guides for a casting rod using the CLNAG Alconites so this application as I see it so far may only be applicable with these guides to maintain consistency in guide type and aesthetics. My idea would be to order an extra Alconite top (CFAT) of the correct sleeve size and an extra guide (CLNAG) with the right ring size for the top I would like to use. This is where things get tricky. I’m thinking if the legs that are soldered to the exterior of the sleeve are cut and then ground down smooth the other legs entering the sleeve could either be heated to release solder or just yanked out of the sleeve. Now all we have a is a sleeve and by bending the single leg on the CLNAG back the opposite direction at the right level it should enter the sleeve where the others were removed from. The two legs on the CLNAG could then be soldered in place as well as the leg entering the sleeve. As to the chrome coat that would be needed to complete the modification of the customized top and the heat of the soldering with the ring in place I am at a loss but then that’s what this forum is all about right. Opinions please, have a finally cracked, maybe gone off the deep end looking for the perfect guide alignment to let the line flow as I feel it should or do I have a suggestion for the folks at Fuji in developing a better more rod builder friendly CFAT top? My only viable cure at this time I would imagine would be to find myself a jeweler that might want to make a run at this for me or ruffle some feathers with the folks at Fuji and cross my fingers.
Deliberation be it yours but I have to get things right ya know! ;)

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2006 03:22PM by Wylie Wiggins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fudging a Fuji or fondling futility ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: May 07, 2006 03:51PM

Couldn't you use a CMNAT Alconite tip top instead for a litle more height? If it's a light rod you can use an "M" frame tip top.

Date: May 07, 2006 04:18PM

Hi Spencer,
I have noticed the CMNAT's although I have never built with them, thank you. I guess I will have to order a few and see what the difference will be as to the guides casting alignment, I already know what the price difference is going to be. :( This casting rod I am setting up will work with the larger ring sizes of the CMNATs in a 7.5 sleeve but getting into a smaller ring size and same sleeve would still be an issue for some spinning rods I have coming up in my near future. Do you know of any distributors doing the CMNATs in a 7.5 sleeve and 8mm ring or would Fuji build something like these little beasties?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 04:47PM

I order the next size larger to the tip tops. Same deal with the MN's tops & guides. If I'm using a rod that will use a size 10 as the smallest, I order a size 12 tip, and this takes care of the problem for me.

Date: May 07, 2006 11:06PM

Thanks Billy,
What you are saying is that the larger ring size makes the clearance at the inside of the ring away from the guide's feet right?
If so I might just lay out this alignment a little different so the top doesn't need to be as heavy as a 12 ringed top would be. The smallest guide was a 10, going to an 8 is loosing some height so I'm in for some real changes here.
I hate to be a haggler but I think the contours in the bends on the legs are still not matching with either the CFAT or the CMNAG in the Fuji, or for that matter most tops in general aren’t looking like the guides in the same line esthetically.
One or the other drawing boards but I think I would like the looks of the CLNAG set up for a top for the CUNAGs as well.
I’m I picky or what?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2006 11:07PM by Wylie Wiggins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster