I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dilema of the worst kind.....maybe?
Posted by: John Scarborough (---.244.186.39.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 05:42PM

Several years ago when I was a "young" aspiring cabinet maker/joiner, I was asked by an older gentleman to build him a work bench, "rod building table and cabinet." I had NOT the remotest idea what he was asking for, but he gave me all the necessary information. Dimensions, type of wood etc. and I proceeded. Every joint was hand fit, dovetailed, and dowled in place, no screws, in fact no metal of any kind in the table and cabinet. White oak ( NOT RED OAK) was .85 cents a board foot, walnut was .91 a board foot. FINALLY finished a week and a day before I went into the service. Volunteered like a dummy. The table and cabinet was delivered and I was paid $85.00 plus the cost of the material. Big bucks in those days. Well a few weeks ago this table and cabinet was returned to me by the gentlemans daughter (looks as good at 60 as she did at 19). Of course I'm somewhat past 19 myself.

I wasn't sure how to respond when she told me she was returning the table, cabinet and ALL accessories sense I had built them. Apparently it was his wish I get them back.

Now the dilema part. I'm retired for the second time. My life long hobby has been making a few high end pool cues and some really expensive duck and goose calls and on occasion I will repair a wrap or replace a tip for someone and have turned a few handles and reel seats for some of the local "do-it-yourselfers" that don't have a lathe.

So, EXPERTS, what are, lets's say the TOP FIVE rod building books available today?????? Because I'm sure NOT going to let this work bench set in the corner and collect dust.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dilema of the worst kind.....maybe?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 05:51PM

1) Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman
2) Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale P. Clemens
3) Fiberglass Rod Making by Dale P. Clemens
4) How we do it by Flex-Coat
5) There are several other books for Fly rod builders but the titles escape me.
6) Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale P. Clemens ( out of print and very pricey! )

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 05:54PM

Most of the above as well as other reference materials can be bought
thru several of the SPONSORS on the list to the left!

Oh! I almost forgot about RodMaker Magazine! ( I should be spanked!)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2006 05:58PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 07:16PM

I'm an amateur fly rod builder, have built 4 rods, working on my 5th. The book that speaks to me best that I have run into is

"Fly Rod Building Made Easy: A Complete Step-By-Step Guide to Making a High-Quality Fly Rod on a Budget" by Art Scheck (Paperback - April 2002). Art covers all I've needed so far and provides ways and means of getting into it without jumping to the highly motorized specialized equipment. Lots of common sense and options. Book is $15.72 on Amazon.com.

Tony Mortimer

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 07:55PM

Great story John. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 09:07PM

Modern Psychiatry For The Demented and Infirm!

Read this before any of the above referenced.

Fsh No Mo

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 10:01PM

John,
I have several of the titles in this thread available for sale. they are used but in good condition. If interested email direct as your email is hidden.

Buzz

rodmaker@dotnet.com

Posted by: John Scarborough (---.244.57.58.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:23AM

"" Modern Psychiatry For The Demented and Infirm! ""

My wife has already mentioned this. The last time I took up a hobby, it cost about $?????.00 dollars. (yeah, five digits +) Of course being a hobby, expense doesn't matter. Fourtunately this time everything is sitting in my shop bascially where it will take up residence so that won't be a big problem.

For everyone that responded you have my THANKS and I'm sure I will have other questions as time goes.........

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 12:58PM

Hi John, Welcome to the addiction club. All the books that were mentioned are most rod builders’ bibles.
Where are you located? By location I just mean your State for starters. Once you have made contact with someone. Then you can exchange additional info. There maybe some rod builders near. You, to help with basic needs and advise you on your rod projects. Here in Washington State we have a rod building reunion every April. Then there is the Charlotte rod show in February. I believe in Florida and New York areas. Rod builders have monthly meetings. I stand corrected if someone else adds their area. As you can see there is a group of knowledgeable rod builders out there to help.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:14PM

John
Can you post some pics of this unit. Sounds like it was a beauty. Are you looking to sell it?
BjR

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:14PM

John
Can you post some pics of this unit. Sounds like it was a beauty. Are you looking to sell it?
BjR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster