I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick drying glue
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:32AM

I need a glue which sets up very quickly, like Krazy Glue, but doesn't set up in the bottle after a week of being opened. The new Krazy glue is a waste, it's not strong at all, and is way too watery.

This AM I used 5 minute epoxy to turn a beer cap into a butt cap, and to glue a Gold Aluminum trim ring onto a rubber butt cap. It was a pain because it seeped everywhere. All i needed was some glue to hold it in place so when I put a permanant epoxy I don't have to worry about the pieces moving around and becoming mis-aligned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick drying glue
Posted by: John Ionata (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:41AM

Aren't there 60 second epoxies? Not as quick setting as crazy glue, but it won't set up in the bottle on you.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:42AM

I use Loctite super glue gel a lot around the house. I've had one bottle of it now for 6 months or so and it still isn't clogged. Get the bottle, not the tube, with the "wings" on the side that you squeeze to get it out. Very strong stuff and doesn't run all over the place.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 10:16AM

Same as Mick!! Good stuff and thick. If it does clog at the tip, a pin takes care of it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 10:26AM

Thanks, I appreciate it. I wish I asked this BEFORE I did my little butt cap experiment. I started teh day off mixing 5 minute epoxy. Reach into my epoxy section, grabbing both bottle, mix it up, let is "set" a little, put it on, put teh cap in teh butt cap, put the aluminum trim ring on. And wait. and WAIT. AND WAIT. Hmmm, something ain't right, maybe it's too cold in my basement? Take teh cap to teh microwave, heat it for 10 seconds. Now it's runny. Wait 5 more minutes, still runny. Hmmmm..

Go back downstairs and LOOK at the bottles - I mixed 5 minute Resin with regular FC epoxy resin. So much for 5 minutes, lol.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 11:19AM

Billy,
I had that same problem with the instant glues. I use them in fly tying. Use once and throw away the bottle because it hardended. Now I use Zap-A-Gap. Works great and doesn't harden in the bottle.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 12:46PM

Billy,

The Loctite,ZAP a Gap....and Crazy glue are all different brands of cyanoacrylate glue.

I like the loctite with an applicator brush....seems to last quite a while before it hardens up. Pen turners use this stuff alot. You can use it as a finish on reelseats...also. If you look on some of the pen turners sites supply sites you can find this stuff with many different applicators and several different viscosities(not sure I spelled that right) it is good stuff to have around. I buy mine at wal-mart

Posted by: Parker Davis (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 07:35PM

Try Elmers

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:10PM

My resins and hardners stay together, put them in plastic bags ya get from all the parts ya buy. Got to have 100 's

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:39PM

3M 77 Spray Adhesive is the ticket for stuff like this. I have a can that's probably 6 years old and it still works. Spits a bit when first used, but quickly clears.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 05:06PM

Dentine chewed five minutes! Spearmint flavor works nicely and tastes good!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 07:53AM

I use two short pieces of PVC glued to a wood strip to keep my Epoxy bottles paired up. also keeps them from tipping over on the bench

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.88.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:26AM

Wish I had a bench LOL

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 04:49PM

Tom, I tried teh spray dhesive, adn yes it does work. The problem is it gets all over teh place - in this case I needed to put a small ead of glue around the rim of the beer cap - I was not able to do it with spray without getting it all over the face of the cap. I do use it for other purposes, and it is ideal - it just can't hurt to have several options...just in case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster