I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

White EVA
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 09:27AM

Good morning all. I am in the process of building a purple boat rod and would like to put white grips on it to go along with the white guide wraps I am planning.

Does anyone know if one of the sponsors has or can get white Eva grips. I know Mudhole has white Eva blocks in 24" lengths, but at present, I don't have a means of accurately center boring the blocks.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White EVA
Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 09:35AM

We have the White EVA on sale in blocks and actual grips. Different ID's

Call us 866-285-0673. Was just about to post the sale. Buy 1 Get 1, length 24" Sale is limited time.

White EVA [www.ackfishing.com]

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle LLC
TOLL FREE 866-285-0673

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2006 07:11PM by Peter Maltby.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 04, 2006 10:05AM

I dont' want to deter you in your qhite rod quest, but you should note that the white EVA is quite soft compared to black EVA, or any other color EVA for that matter. If you like the firm quality of EVA, teh white is going to end up feeling much less firm than what you are used to, and I am goign to guess it is not as durable either.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2006 10:37AM

Very true - and equally hard to keep clean. You might consider just using some white trim rings within a darker color EVA. That way you get the firmness of the darker EVA for the main grip body, but can still have the white accents to match your wraps.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 10:47AM

Thanks, Billy and Tom. Did not realize there was a difference in the colored (white) EVA.

I did figure it would be hard to keep clean, but it was going to be a personal rod and I am a bit anal when it comes to cleaning my own equipment. Oh well, again, thanks for the information. Guess I'll head in another direction.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: May 04, 2006 11:12AM

Regarding cleaning:

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

These inlays are fairly large. These were both built for someone else, and I had to get them back from them to bring down to Charlotte. When I got them, teh white was very dirty, but I found it very easy to clean when I took the rods into teh shower and used a toothbrush with regular soap. Got them nice and bright white. I have done the same with Yellow the same way. I found the hardest thing to clean up from light colored grips....is darker colored EVA dust which gets in there from sanding (in the case of the above rods, black). IT seems to embed in teh inlay, and it is fairly difficult to clean, I use a rag with soap and water, and a lot of elbow grease to get them clean.

I have a piece of square stock White EVA, which I had shoved in a bag with heavy stuff on top of it. There were otehr pieces of EVA in tehre as well, same shape and size as the White. Somehow, teh white piece ended up twisted, and the heavy object "crushed" one of the ends. My square white EVA turned into a diamond shape at one end, and semi-twisted in the middle. I use it for inlays and would never consider using it as an entire grip.

Date: May 04, 2006 11:21AM

These are the real facts about the colored EVA that WE sell. Billy and Tom's musings may apply to brands of other colored EVA, but not ours. Of course if you bore too much out of it, you are likely to find it a little soft. Kind of makes sense. Let's not over bore (no pun intended)

Our colored EVA (all colors, including white) are the same density as the black EVA. It is the highest grade EVA you can purchase all with the same density. Our EVA also Does not absorb water. I agree, that white may be harder to keep clean, but that is a matter of how well you care for your rod.

FACTS: 1. Our colored EVA (all colors) are the same density as the black.
2. It is the highest grade EVA you can purchase in colored as well as black
3. It does not absorb water.
4. Commen sense, of course anything white is harder to keep clean. Your white tee shirt, car, sneakers, etc.

This is the information from the source, not speculation. Please feel free to purchase some white, and black so you can compare them side by side. You get 1 of them for free after all.

Tom and Billy may be thinking about other brands, and this may be true with them. It however is not the case with the colored EVA we sell.

You can't beat the deal, and it will not last long. [www.ackfishing.com]

Peter Maltby
ACK Fishing & Tackle LLC
866-285-0673
[www.ackfishing.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2006 07:18PM by Peter Maltby.

Date: May 04, 2006 11:36AM

I have never seen the EVA from ACK Fishing Tackle

FWIW - I'm not trying to steer people from buying products from you, I'm just posting my experiances with White EVA. I have tried from 2 seperate Vendors, one is no longer around, the other is Merrick Tackle. I have ordered all the colors from both places, and I've used most of it as well. Teh stuff from Merrick is 24" unbored, and from Orange to 3 shades of Blue to Purple - tehy are all teh same density. I believe the White is teh same density as well. however, maybe it's teh color/dye, I dunno - but the white is extremely spongy compared to teh other colors. If I were building a FW rod it would probably hold up just fine, but no way would I stick it on as a full grip on a boat rod that goes in and out of rod holders. The stuff I have frm teh other company, is a bit firmer than what Merrick has, but their white is also noticeable softer than all the other colors. I wouldn't use that White EVA for that application either.

I'm all for ordering everythign and seeing for yourself, that's the only way you'll know for sure. The worst thing that could happen is you buy it and use it for trim rings, or to hold hooks while you are snelling, hold flies while you apply head cement, etc.

Date: May 04, 2006 11:54AM

Your business is always welcome at ACK Fishing & Tackle. You might be surprised. I'll have a webpage up shortly that will list the 20 or so colors that are available. Grips in color, 20 colors +. 5/8" ID, some 1/8" ID (only a few), 1/2" ID, and 3/4" ID

Will probably cost less than some others also, and it's actually in stock. The best colored EVA for less.

Peter Maltby
[www.ackfishing.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster