I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marking centers on glossy blanks
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 11:42PM

What do you guys use to mark centers on glossy blanks for butt wraps? I've seen some pictures that looked like white ink was used. I've tried white thread and scratching with an awl.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marking centers on glossy blanks
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 12:22AM

I use the reflected light on the blank or, sometimes a white china marker

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 10:12AM

Hi Chuck - I use a light scratch with the needle of the compas I use for the measurements.

Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: May 04, 2006 12:00PM

I use a white crayon that nabbed from my daughters collection.

Joe

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.s473.apx1.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 12:38PM

Chuck: I use a white "China Marker'. It is one of those pencils that has the string you pull and then unwind the paper that covers the center. I then take a razor blade and sharpen the point. John

Date: May 04, 2006 01:57PM

Okay. Thanks guys. That helps!

Chuck

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 08:46PM

Light reflection for the "straight line" to line up a straight edged ruler to, then a fine point Sharpie for the crossing points. It really helps visually, to lightly scuff the wrap area with scotch brite.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2006 09:29PM

I make my alignment marks on a piece of white NCP and then tape that to the blank, one piece each on opposing sides of the pattern. After the first few passes are made and things are lined up, I cut the alignment threads at each end and pull them out.

Date: May 04, 2006 10:08PM

Tom, I tried that (bought your book). I had a bit of trouble with knowing how tight to stretch the thread. I also experienced some movement of the thread and had to keep straightening it out. However...it was not NCP. Is NCP low stretch? I didn't have any on hand. I just used white A thread and finally made it work.

I also tried scratching with an awl, but had trouble erasing my mistakes. :) I will give the white out and china marker a shot next time. I finally got the wrap done, which was my first all metallic wrap on a glossy blank. That was a bit of a challenge too.

So much to learn. I really didn't need another hobby...especially an addicting one.

Thanks all!

Chuck

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 10:14PM

I tried that NCP white thread method based on what was written in some of the old books and found that when the thread gets pulled from beneath, the pattern or early set up threads slide and shift during the pull. It doesn't really matter for open chevrons and diamonds, but when your dealing with more intricate closed wraps or patterns where you have inner and outer boxes, any shifting or pulling of thread can be somewhat annoying and add additional work.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 05:34AM

I just plain old scratch the finish. I have tried roller ball white out too, but I can make a tiny scratch and be totally sure my center is the center I want it to be I have found the other methods to be a bit inaccurate.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2006 08:12AM

Don't attempt to pull the entire thread out in one section - cut it in smaller sections and it'll pull out without upsetting any of the wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster