I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater blank
Posted by: Kent Petersen (---.telia.com)
Date: May 03, 2006 03:36AM

I am from Sweden and wright english as i speak it ,sorry.
I am going to build 2 or 3 new rods for flyfishing in tropical water .Planing a trip to
Los Roques and need new rods.Visit Tobago 3 weeks febr-march 2006 and it was difficult to fish in the strong wind who always is there, hade to "press and pump" the line out in the wind.The rods i hade was DC FT wf 7 and 8 and SA Mastery Saltwater-Saltwater.Need rods who loads with shorter line,you cant have to mush line outside .Allso need a new line , was thinking of SA Mastery Salwater
Redfish.
The blanks i am looking on now is Sage Xi2 , CTS Affinity S and S XF, TFO TiCrX . Size wf8 , wf10 , wf12 .
Nedd some input of ideas and tought.
Thanks in advance . kentP

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 03, 2006 03:56PM

Kent,

Your problem is very easy to solve - take the rods you have now and upline them by one or two line sizes. Then they'll load with less line past the tip.

You may want o read more on the Common Cents System to understand the relationship between line length/weight and rod power. [www.common-cents.info]

Posted by: Kent Petersen (---.telia.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 02:23AM

Tom
I did that all time ,hade wf8 on the wf7 rod - even try wf9 on the 7 rod. Leader i use was 8-10 f, tyed by Lefty Kreh a formula. The rods was great on my backyard but i didint work in the wind.I am over average casting technique.
kentP

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2006 09:35PM

Do keep in mind that the rod terms "8-weight" or "9-weight" are very subjective. No two rods with the "8-weight" designation are going to posess the same amount of power. Odd, huh? But that's the way it is. Those numbers end up meaning very little. You need to create a baseline for your rods and then select the lines you need to load them with different amounts of line aerialized.

You would do well to run some CCS measurements on the rods and then relate that to the line you need for the length of line you plan to aerialize on the final cast before the "shoot." I'd suggest you try to match your 8-weight line with a rod with an ERN of around 6.5 to 7. But don't expect to cast long distances. Do expect them to load at short distances, however. Hopefully they'll stll have enough power to handle the fish you intend to catch.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 12:09AM

I've CCd the 7wt, it's in the low 10's powerwise. I also always carry a travel spinning backup rod with me for the windy days, sometimes it's the only thing that even closely resembles fishability in the wind.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: May 05, 2006 10:10PM

Kent,

If I were you I would also shorten up the leader, particularly in windy conditions. In my experiance fish arn't sensitive to leader length in windy conditions at all and much easier to get the fly to turnover with a short one. Length say 2 to 5 feet. You may also wish to use a sinking line (if you are not already) where leader length can definitely be shorter as the line takes the fly to the fish and so not relying on leader length to get the fly down. Also sinking flylines have a smaller diameter for same weight of line and so can be more effective in the wind. Sorry if I am telling you stuff you know already or doing already.

I have an FT 9 wt I am taking to Cape York (Northern end of Australia about as far as you can go in that direction) at the end of May. Almost completed building it and I am really looking forward to using it and seeing how it goes.

Cheers
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster