I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: CP?
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 03, 2006 03:22PM

RALPH O'QUINN -- THANK YOU for that DEFINITIVE ANSWER (once again) on the ESSENTIALS of CP FORMULATIONS. ... If ain't ACRYLIC or URETHANE / ACRYLIC, it ain't gonna hold a candle to those formulations.

For those who want to re-invent the wheel, that is why we jump up when old flops come around again. Bad deja vu! ...

You can rely on SERENDIPITY to find the next classification of chemicals that may work as a good CP functional moeity. ... But don't forget that Thomas Alva Edison said: "GENIUS is 1% INSPIRATION and 99% PERSPIRATION". He himslef TESTED over 1,000 different materials for use as the filament in an incandescent light bulb before he found several that would work the way he wanted them to.

Or you can order a bottle of the acrylic CP's from one of our RBO Sponsors.

For the sake of a fun experiment, try some brands of poly-urethane from a local hardware store to discover which ones work for you. An RBO SEARCH = "CP Urethane" should mention several brands, maybe some of which are available in your region. ... Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 04:53PM

Bill,

I have tested it with Flex Coat and it worked fine. I have not tested it with all products out there. I would try it on your favorite finish and let me know the results. I am interested in hearing which finishes Mark Griffin tested with the Maderia Thread. I will send him this thread to comment on.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2006 04:58PM by Tim Campbell.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 08:27PM

So what is the BEST stuff to use when doing a chevron with say white going over black??? I`ve yet to find anything that doesn`t turn the white into grey or make it a dingy off white colour
(billy dont you dare say paint the stripes)

Heres hoping we can clear this one up

Allen

Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 11:10PM

Allen,

My personal colors for all of my rods are white underwrap with red and black second and third layers. I do not have any chevrons on my rods. I will post a picture of one of my personal rods to show how well my Diamondite Color Preserver works. I also will post a link to a test I did with 1/2 of the white with CP and the other 1/2 not.

My rod www.swiftymfg.com/photo_gallery/cp_test.jpg
White Thread Test www.swiftymfg.com/photo_gallery/cp_test.jpg

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Date: May 04, 2006 12:20AM

Allen Forsdyke asks: "What is the stuff to use when doing a chevron with white over black?... I`ve yet to find anything that doesn`t turn the white into grey, or make it a dingy off-white colour. (Billy don't you dare say paint the stripes)" -A.F.

Use NCP WHITE with CP, for WHITE UNDERWRAPS
over BLACK / DARK Blanks:
-- NCP WHITE, Single Layer
-- NCP WHITE, Double layer
-- NCP WHITE OVER WHITE UNDER-PAINT

To your tastes, IMO. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 12:36AM

Derek,

The test was done on a black blank scrap with yellow Madeira thread - a tough combination. Two coats of various CP alternatives were applied.

I didn't think Future quite did the job of covering the black blank and maintaining the yellow color. Maybe the packing wasn't adequate but I think it was tightly packed & burnished.

What I concluded was that no matter what CP is used on light-colored threads against a dark background, something light colored (white) is required to block-out the black blank color.

Enjoyed the comment about being a "kitchen sink builder." Did the same 'til my spouse gave me an ultimatum: "if you don't get this 'stuf' out of my kitchen, I'll never cook another meal." I took her at her word and moved everything to a spare bedroom - the youngsters having grown up and moved out.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2006 01:08AM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas32.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 07:02AM

Your right Stan
I did a graphite cleared rod for a guy that wanted bright yellow thread. Some colors ya got to get well paid for.
First time and no mater what I did it did not come out " bright ". What I had to do is mark the ends of each wrap, strip the thread off, mask and scoff each section, paint a white under coat, then wrap the yellow. Came out just like he wanted " bright yellow " The guy I think may have wanted to see if I could do it. He is still wondering how I did it.

A lot of work though !!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 04, 2006 07:46AM

I've posted this before, and will again here - do a simple test. Paint a section of blank white. Do a wrap with White NCP on teh blank blank, and go right up and over the white paint. Apply a coat of finish - it is obvious that teh color which NCP goes over plays a role in how "white" teh thread stays. do teh same thing with ANY thread and put CP over it - you'll get the same result - EXACTLY teh same color on teh spool over teh white area, and a greyisher color over teh bare blank.

CP DOES NOT KEEP THE THREAD THE SAME EXACT COLOR, teh color underneath DOES play a role regardless of teh thread, CP or epoxy you use.

Please dont' believe me and do a test and you will see for yourself, and next time you can post this instead of me, lol. Stan has done this and he knows for a fact what goes on, it probably took him 15 minutes to do this test, I hope everyone else concerned or curious does it too.

Date: May 04, 2006 10:12AM

VIVONA - "U-da-Man!" - "U-da-Man!" Very well said, Billy.
Thanks for that reality-check from the Vivona-Zona,
where "The muck stops here."

TESTING for oneself is the ultimate way to know
if you'll like the results for what you're doing. -Cliff Hall+++

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster