I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mahogany loomis
Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2006 08:49PM

Hello again, it's been awhile since I've visited. Some of you may remember a debate I started over the ultimate low cost speck rod. Well I've added two more to that list. The loomis P8400 and the Loomis Dropshot. The 8400 is one bad rod, and while the dropshot offers a really light tip, I found it to be too light when setting the hook. In addition each of these I don't consider inexpensive, so the search continues. At any rate, I have a problem matching a color against these mahogany blanks so if anyone has ideas I'd like to hear them. I'm using gold tags and guides. I'm also curious if there is a thread out there that will turn close to the same color of the blank if I don't use CP. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mahogany loomis
Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 09:34PM

"One bad rod" Ok, maybe clarify this one. Bad as in not good, or bad as in awesome? Loomis' higher end blanks IMO do not fit into the inexpensive category, as you have found. What kind of lures/baits will you be tossing, and in what weight range? Other manufacturers may offer something close to what you want in a more pocket friendly price range. Have a look through Batson's RX6 and RX7 graphite blanks.

For the mahogany finish, try burgundy, or one of the deeper shades of brown. Remember the blank showing through without CP will contribute to darkening the translucent effect further. I think either chestnut or dark brown will work well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2006 09:37PM by Ted Morgan.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 09:40PM

Shikari makes a similar action blank to the P8400 Loomis. They are the P7000 SH II, IP7000 SH III, and PP7000 SHX. Rainshadow makes a similar blank also, the IP841. Chestnut thread with no CP may be what your looking for.

Date: May 01, 2006 09:46PM

Bad as in awesome. Lures range anywhere from 1/16 oz spoons to 1/2 oz topwaters with an emphasis on the lighter side. I actually bought a Rainshadow (or maybe Forecast I don't remember) "hotshot" blank and found it to be not in the same category in terms of action and power than the Loomis brand "hotshot". I also bought a 841 but I think it was more of a spinning rod than what some have said I should have been looking at the popping series, but I like this 8400 alot better than Loomis' P841, it is more "crisp" for a lack of better term. Not saying one experience is ruining me, but I don't have a local dealer of these and hate to order it if I haven't put my hands on it. I've already spent a good chunk of change. I was over in Andy Dear's neck of the woods but we missed each other so I still haven't tried the CTS lineup yet, but still look forward to doing so. These also however will be on the upper end of inexpensive. Thanks for the reply.

Date: May 01, 2006 09:47PM

You beat me Spencer, thanks. I'll get some and do a test. Where does one find the Shikari blanks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2006 09:48PM by Robert Borgsmiller.

Date: May 01, 2006 10:53PM

Shikari blanks has a link to the left. Versitex, Bingham's and I'm sure others carry Shikari.

Date: May 01, 2006 11:06PM

Wierd, from where I'm standing the sponsors list is blank.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 11:49PM

Robert,
Your pop-up blocker is preventing the sposors list from showing

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: May 01, 2006 11:49PM

The white CTS blank Andy sold me is a virtual clone of the blanks we've been talking about. The Rainshadow hotshot blanks are no way similar to your blank or the HS9000 blank I think you also mentioned. I have the 9000 blank in a couple configurations and have easily caught a larger variety of fish species on it than any other blank I have ever used. The GL3 blank is in my opinion superior to the other configurations.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 05:40AM

Robert,this wrap is on a mahogany Loomis.[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: May 02, 2006 08:46AM

Thanks everybody. I see the sponsor list again. Thanks for the insight into the CTS Spencer. Makes me wish I would've been more aggressive in meeting up with Andy but oh well, next time.

Fred, that wrap looks good, just a little beyond my current ability, well actually beyond my available time and patience. I do see what you're getting at with the colors. I've got a different perspective now with the advice given, so it's off to thread shopping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster