I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what is the perfect PITCHING stick
Posted by: cody mccrary (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 10:43AM

i bass fish and i do alot of pitching and i want to build a PITCHING rod.

what is your idea of the perfect PITCHING stick blank, guides, reelseat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is the perfect PITCHING stick
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 30, 2006 03:24PM

Cody,
Pitching sticks and all rods are like golf clubs, it depends on where you are and the situation. I wouldn't use the same rod in the Florida weed mats that I use on the more open western waters. I'd also be using different weight line, style and weight jigs each place.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 30, 2006 06:19PM

My idea in blanks (for 14 pound test and 3/16 soft plastics) - SC570MF casting model
(for 14/17 pound test and 1/4 - 3/8 jigs) Shikari PMB704

Reelseat - Wiebe skeleton trigger with cork and a front Fuji 16 skeleton trimmed barrel or ECSM, barrel trimmed and Rich Forhanized underbelly

Guides Recoil 12,10,8 casting, smallest size flies they offer (1 I think, but it might be 2) to tip with a 3 fly simple spiral guide with a Fuji gold cermet size 6 tip or Fuji TiSic 12 cast, 10,8,6s to tip flies

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 08:36PM

My pitching rod of choice is a 3C70MHXF, usually spooled with 17-20 lb. test. But, take that suggestion with a grain of salt. I fish mostly open water. The few pieces of cover I find are right on the bank, with open water all around. So, I'm not dealing with major pads/grass, etc. Obviously, with any grass/pads around, I would need to move up to something a little more powerful...maybe a 3C70MHF.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 11:52PM

I'm partial to the 6 ft 6 in blanks for jigs. One of my favorites was the Lamiglas XC78M which is no longer made, but is available as a discontinued blank under full warranty from Mudhole. The Shikari PMB664. The GUSA C664DHX.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 07:38AM

Cody - Go to the top of this board and click on the button marked "Search". Enter the word "pitchin" in the window and change the toggle window just below to "All Dates". Read for a long time to find out what has been covered before. There will be quite a few comments on the threads that will interest you quite a bit.

Posted by: Don Jones (204.180.144.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 08:40AM

I would suggest Shikari SHII FS764. You can get it in a telescoping version as well. I would build it with a split grip, no foregrip and spiral the guides. I usually use the Fuji Alconite guides.

Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: May 02, 2006 09:01PM

A pitching rod usually depends on the cover and rod action you prefer. But here's what most of the pros in the tournaments use and these guys can PITCH. Most common rod length is 6'6"-7'. A 6'8" or 6'10" rod is also popular. But the action and power rating are more important. Typically a pitching rod is used for lighter, scattered cover than what is used for flipping. A MH rod is better for the sparse stuff, and a Hvy. would be more approriate for heavier stuff/heavier lures. A Hvy. will also give you a bit more power when you have to set the hook on the fall after a 50ft. + pitch. However, you should be more concerned with the rod action. I prefer an Ex.Fast action for pitching bcz it allows you to place lighter lures exactly where you want them. With pitching accuracy is important, so an ex. fast makes that a bit easier to do.
As for the rod building specs, there's tons of good blanks out there. All the ones mentioned above will perform well. St. Croix makes some killer pitching blanks. I would go with the split rear grip, no foregrip, and either a spiral or regular style wrap. Regular is gonna to be easier for a first time you build arod, at least from my experience. Go with Fuji SIC guides if you can afford them, otherwise use the Alconites. Since high quality ceramics put less friction on the line during a pitch, you'll get better performance and overall distance from using guides like the SiCs or Alconites.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster