I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hello
Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 06:48PM

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am VERY interesting in learning how to wrap and build rods. So any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited about getting started...but I do not know where to begin. If I should get a book or video first or what? PLEASE HELP!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hello
Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.tci.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 07:05PM

Hello Lori - Well, you certainly came to the right place to learn this fine art.
There are many books and publications available to anyone interested. - Many can be obtained from the sponsers listed on the left.
You will get many responses and help from the good folks in this forum.
If there is someone in your immediate area who can give you some 1st hand help, that is the best way to get started.
You will find that there are many ways to do the same thing (select components - find spine - select guides and placement, etc, etc).
And do not be afraid to err, we all have done our share of 'dumb' things. - and recovered.
Good Luck

If people spent more time on important things, there would be a shortage of flyrods.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 07:22PM

Lori, The first thing that I would strongly recommend is to browse the LIBRARY, GLOSSARY, FAQ's and PHOTO PAGE at the top of this page, Then I would get a copy of Tom Kirkman's book "Rodbuilding Guide" from a vendor on the left (Mudhole, for one carries it) It will take you step by step through the entire process with 100 pix and will be the best $15 you can spend. Post any and all questions that you might have and you will get plenty of help. Where are you located? You may be able to find a nearby builder who will help you out (Check the DIRECTORY at the top, many of us are listed there). Once you become totally addicted and can't turn back, you need to get a subscription to Rodmaker Magazine (Link on the left) and plan on saving now for the International Rodbuilding Expo (link also on the left)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 08:08PM

Thank you SO MUCH! I looked thru the directory and found a captain who lives in my area. I sent him an email asking him if he offers classes or if he just has any tips as to how I get started. I am really anxious to get started doing this. Hubby and I also have a friend who lives a couple hrs. away from us who also said he would help me. Thank you soooo much for your help. It is GREATLY appreciated! :) Lori

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 29, 2006 09:23PM

Lori Friske - Follow Mike Barkley's advice to mine every resource here at RBO. Down-load these texts and create our own local Archives. And subscribe to RMM [www.rodmakermagazine.com] without delay - don't miss an issue.

Take a look at this recent Thread for even more useful advice:
I am a starter, Help please : ) 247-VIEWS ... 14-REPLIES
Nico_Goles ... 04/29/06 ... 11:29AM [www.rodbuilding.org]

LEARN to use the RBO SEARCH Engine. There have been around 160,000 REPLIES to around 31,000 POSTS here at the RBO Forum since its genesis in JUNE 2001. There are MANY DOZENS, if not HUNDREDS, of expert rod-builders who answer questions here at the RBO Forum every day. And there is no subject on which there is not an expert who writes a Reply.

This is to Mr. Tom Kirkman's credit. He is the Website Owner, Chief Moderator, and Guardian of the Repository of Knowledge that is the RodBuilding.Org Forum. He also is the Publisher of RMM, and the Executor of the 2007 International Rod Building Exposition (and the predecessor Shows in Charlotte, NC). Thanks, Tom.

Best Wishes,Lori Friske. ... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 09:37PM

Lori,

If you un-hide your e-mail, you may get more info from builders that would e-mail you! Normally, if you click on a poster's name, their e-mail address will be displayed. If you click on MY CONTROL CENTER at the top of the message list and click on Edit Email settings and enter and confirm your email address it will be available to other poster (If you want this!!)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 09:57PM

Lori,

I was a newbie a little more than a year ago, then I found this forum. It was "Let the learning commense". My advice: 1) Tom's book "Rodbuilding Guide" is a must have for all new rodbuilders. Get it soon. 2) Get the video (VHS or DVD) from Flex Cote "How we do it" 3) Get Ken Preston's video (DVD) Basic Rod Building.

These 3 things will get you going in short order, then you can move on to the fancy stuff. As stated above look over every resource of this site. Visit every one of the sponsor sites to the left, just to familiarize yourself with what they offer. Start from the back of the forum, which will be the first post's since it began, and read toward the front.

Last but way far from least, subscribe to RodMaker Magazine and make plans to attend the 2007 RodBuilder's Exposition in High Point, NC in Feb. of next year. Trust me, you will not regret it. Oh, almost forgot, prepare yourself cause once you start you will not be able to stop. It is a bonanfide addiction.

Welcome to a very worth while craft, and visit often.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster