I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is it possible to make a 2-piece rod into a 4 piece?
Posted by: Brandon Goyer (---.csumb.edu)
Date: April 28, 2006 02:54AM

Ok, I'm probably taking a long shot, but I thought I'd ask. I have a 7'-6'' sage 4 weight that is two piece. I've started backpacking and would like to take it along, but the length is a little problematic. I was wondering if there is any way I could carefully make this rod into a four piece. I love the rod and would like to avoid having to buy a whole new rod to replace it.

Obviously, the action and feel of the rod would change if made into 4 sections, although I'm not just to what extent. Anyhow, I just thought I'd ask, and suggestions or information you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible to make a 2-piece rod into a 4 piece?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2006 06:46AM

Certainly, and it can be done very well with the article on making multi-piece rods in a past issue of RodMaker.

I can't possibly give you all the details on a simple message board post, but in short, you create sleeve-over ferrules from glass stock. You won't change the feel more than just a little if you do this correctly.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 08:14AM

quite possible someone a few weeks back had his "labourer "turn his prize rod into a 20 or thirty section rod but i would suggest a bit of reading up on the subject first as i dontthink its really correct to just run it over with a two ton truck

LOL PRACTICE FIRST make the mistakes on an old naff rod first no point chewing a nice rod up to find you made a mistake someware

Allen

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 28, 2006 08:48AM

Mr. Tom Kirkman - Regarding the particular Issue of RodMaker Magazine (RMM), in which the article in question is, on converting an existing rod blank into additional sections, I have been unable to find the specific issue.

I searched the RMM Index for Volumes 1-7 listed in the RBO Library in both the *.DOC format [www.rodbuilding.org] AND the *.XLS format [www.rodbuilding.org] using FIND = "MULTI"; "SECTION", "PIECE" ... But it did not return any related Report. ... Neither did READING thru the ~12 pages of the Index give an obvious answer.

In the RMM Index, FIND = "REPAIR" returned 3 Articles, way back from Volume 3 or Volume 4, but these have expired from Back Issue availability:

REPAIR TOPICS:
Fundamental Repair Concepts by Ralph O'Quinn - V3 #1
Repairing Plug/Spigot Ferrules by Ralph O'Quinn - V4 #1
Why Repair? By Tom Kirkman - V4 #3

Even on the RMM Back Issue Order Page, [rodmakermagazine.com] a SEARCH there using the same terms (FIND = "MULTI"; "SECTION", "PIECE") did not produce an obvious answer.

Does any one else know the RMM-Vol(Iss) for this Article?
Thanks y'all. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 10:32AM

Cliff,
That article is in RMM 4.4

I had the exact same issue a while back and got lots of help here!

Thanks again everyone!

Brandon,
Your email address is "hidden" email me OK?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2006 10:34AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 12:43PM

i have made multi piece rods from single piece and three piece rods. it can certainly be done but if not done with great care you could ruin a nice rod. my decision would be based on the kind of ferrule it currently has. if it has a tip over butt ferrule i probably would not do it. you can build a rod for backpacking on a four piece blank and its not too expensive to make one. if your rod has a spigot ferrule i would probably do it. but thats because i have some experience with this.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 28, 2006 02:15PM

Brandon Goyer - Currently using a 2-piece FLY ROD:
Sage 7'-6" 4-weight

Is this the SAGE XP-Series? FAST ACTION?

SAGE MODEL# 4-76-XP: 4-WT ... 7'6" ... 2-pc ...
0.296" ... 3.5 / 64ths ... FAST ...
BLANK-WT: 1.08 oz. ... ~$260. (per MudHole)

The SAGE XP-Series does have some 4-pc rods,
namely the 486-XP-4. ~$295.

Here's a Batson RainShadow 4-piece travel rod, rigged and ready to go. You can build a brand new one of these in about the same amount of time it will take you to carefully re-configure the Sage 476XP.

[fishsticks4u.com]
RAIN-SHADOW MODEL#: RX8+864-4
RX8+864-4 ... Satin Black ... 8'6" ... 4-WT ... 4-PC ...
0.325" ... 4.0 / 64ths ... Fast ... 1.40 oz. ... $200 (FS4U)

All the 7'6" 4-pc RS-RX7 Models had a less than FAST action,
which I didn't think you would be interested in. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 09:15PM

I'd just get a multi piece blank and build yourself a new rod if I was you. For the amount of time it would take to putz around with chopping off a perfectly good 2 pc ( which sometime you might want to have a two piece) you could have youreself a fine new multi piece.
BjR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster