I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

##*?>>$#@@***
Posted by: Wayne T Dye (---.client.insightbb.com)
Date: April 26, 2006 10:16PM

HI all,
Well I finally decided to try to do a buttwrap,and as usual I decided to do it on a rod I was building for a buddy. No practise(I don' need no stinkin practise). Things were going really well, 5 runs of gold metallic on a 5" wrap then 5 runs of yellow on both sides of the gold.LOOKIN GOOOD. Now time for the trim wraps, 6 wraps and now trim the tag end. ##*?>>$#@@***. You guessed it ,when trimming the tag I also cut the trim thread and watched the whole thing loosen up beyond repair. Two and 1/2 hours of nervewracking work gone with the slip of a blade. I know most of you do awrap like this in just a few minutes, but I was learning as I went. Since I had shown the wrap to the BW before the"FOX PAW" I took it back into the house to show it to her afterwards, her comment "Why did you take it off I thought itl looked good". Back to the barn and put the rod in a rack and do something on another rod. Finished the wrap today and it looks good. I did learn one thing. After I finished the wrap I put 811 cp on the wrap before I started the finish wrap. Maybe be not kosher but it seemed to work for me. The rod is turning in the dryer asI type. Trying some of Andy Dears Thread Master. So much for the trials and tribulations of a new buttwraper.

Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ##*?>>$#@@***
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 10:23PM

The CP is a good idea too keep the threads together till you get the ends on. After a few and you will not need the CP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2006 10:25PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.8-67.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2006 10:30PM

I've done it before with a weave that took 12 hours. Don't feel bad it could be worse.

Date: April 26, 2006 10:43PM

Check out the Visual wrap site. There are a lot of step by step instructions Lower left.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 10:53PM

Wayne,
I have building rods for almost 30 years. This same thing happend to me early on. I then started using Flex Coat CP on all of my butt wraps before I do any cutting of the threads. I apply the CP almost to the end and after it dries, I trim the ends (not covered by CP) at an angle. I then wrap the end of the wrap back towards the main body of the wrap. In other words, I am wrapping uphill. Then I put a little trim band on each end.

Date: April 26, 2006 11:05PM

Went to the visualwrap site and pulled up one of the step by steps. Guess I'd better get a step by step book on how to read a step by step pattern.

Wayne

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 11:40PM

Hi Wayne,
Been there, done that!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 27, 2006 04:27AM

Hey Wayne,

I think Bill is referring to the Step By Step board which shows, with illustrated steps, how to do stuff like cross wraps.

If you've opened up a pattern script you won't be able to read it - it is not intended for "human reading" but is code understood by the VisualWRAP software.

Regards

Dave Boyle
[www.threadcentral.net]

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 05:28AM

Dave,I`ll bet Bily Vivona can read and even speak the code!!!!Is he not human??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 27, 2006 05:44AM

Done the same thing myself. I too use a bit of CP to hold it all together. I spend 4 to 7 hours on some butt wrapps and I don't want to chance having to redo all that work.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 27, 2006 07:19AM

Fred,
My guess is that he is not. Anyone who can wrap like Billy does should be classified as super-human :)
Dave

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 27, 2006 07:40AM

Wayne T Dye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Went to the visualwrap site and pulled up one of
> the step by steps. Guess I'd better get a step by
> step book on how to read a step by step pattern.
>
> Wayne

Wayne, This is exactly what I'm working on.

Date: April 27, 2006 07:41AM

That's it, give Billy a bigger head then he already has ?? LOL

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.pinn.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 10:42AM

When this happened to me I placed a band of thread 1/4" wide below the damaged buttwrap threads. I then tugged on the loose tag ends to get the damaged thread tight again, Once everything was tight I proceeded to cut through the rest of the wrap and bound the wrap tight as usual. The total length of the repaired wrap wound up 1/4" shorter than usual, but was not noticeable.

Lou

Date: April 28, 2006 09:56AM

Hi All,
Thanks to everyone for all the moral support ,good to know that it happens to almost everyone at some time or other.

Billy , If you write it ,I'll buy it. Lots of pitchers please. Sometimes I don't understand raeding ,but I'm purty good at pitchers!

Wayne

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas96.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 10:01AM

Billy
That book will be a best seller

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster