I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
You airbrush guys
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 07:54AM

Good morning all.

I just received for my birthday a new airbrush and compressor, a VL by Passche. My question is this: What paints / clears are best when it comes to painting blanks?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You airbrush guys
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 08:24AM

You can start with the Createx Auto Air line of airbrush paints...Easy to clean, good color pallette which includes flairs, and easy cleanup. Get them for the price and ease of use. Once you get your technique down the selections are nearly endless as is the price range.

Make yourself a spray booth and filter out the airborne particles of paint or wear a particle mask unless you want to be blowing you nose in fully colors. Been there, done that. A drying cabinet would also be a good idea as well, especially if you live in a colder of more dusty environment.

As for clears...Look for ones that possess a UV inhibitor.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.177.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 08:58AM

Doug,
We are currently looking at adding a line of very high quality urethane paints specificasslly for coating blanks. I airbrushed some blanks last week with the prototypes, and the results were outstanding. LAst night I mixed up some med. blue and white for a baby blue...it looks really really nice.The Poly we are looking at is a Water Based Linear Polyurethane. It is VERY durable, but very flexable. If we pick it up, it will be available in many different colors which can be mixed for custom blends. In addition the water base makes for less votility, no need for a spray booth (with an explosion proof exhaust) , easy cleanup etc.... Several of the major US factories are already using or testing a similiar resin (made for dip coating or pour application). Plus since it is water based it is recyclable.

There are still a few kinks to work out, but I'll keep you gusy posted as this progresses.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:18AM

Derek and Andy,
Do you have any idea how much weight those coatings will add?

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 10:54AM

Andy thanks, I'll be looking forward to it.

Is anyone else using water based coatings to paint rod blanks at present. I've been looking at several products on the internet, but haven't purchased any as of yet. Besides, I'm still practicing and getting use to setting up and using the brush.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.36.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 11:03AM

Emory,
Yes, they will add weight, but no more than the weight that comes with a factory applied finish. I'll run a test blank here in a few minutes and post the weight differential.

Derek, yes, I know of several blank amf, that do. However they are not your readily available "off the shelf" minwax style coatings. What we are going to offer will be a much higher quality resin. I'll also post some pics on the photopage today as well.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 11:38AM

I have been using "Durocoat". It is a paint used for painting firearms. It comes in variety of colors plus high gloss clear. VERY tough paint and I do use a VL airbrush with a #3 tip.

Date: April 25, 2006 11:51AM

Don't get me wrong I am not arguing to not put a finish on a blank. I am just asking about the performance implications. Most blanks come with a factory applied finish. Unless you remove the factory finish aren't you ending up with two that could be enough added weigh to be a performance issue. The weight of the finish is not insignificant. What I have read about the weight of a finish coat on a blank is that it adds roughly 5% to the weight of the blank so two coats will be roughly 10%. One way of thinking about it is, this is roughly the equivalent of adding an extra guide or two.

Andy,
You might want to consider measuring the resonant frequency of the blank before and after applying the coating. That would be a much better indication of the effect on performance than just the before and after weights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 11:54AM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.90.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 11:56AM

Well, the blanks I coat I always remove the factory finish. And there are times when aesthetics overtake performance. You'd be surprised at how many pink and white CTS blanks I am selling.

Andy

Date: April 25, 2006 12:15PM

I too remove the finish prior to coating a rod to be used for casting. Most of what I paint though is standup or boat rods. Those I just prepare the surface with Scotch brite, clean and paint. So far, so good!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: April 25, 2006 12:16PM

Actually after thinking about it a little more maybe it is not something to loose any sleep over and is not going to be the equivalent of adding the weight of an extra guide or two. Because of the blanks taper the majority of the added weight will be back toward the butt where it has much less effect on performance.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.117.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 12:34PM

Emory,
I was going to say that EXACT thing, but I didn't want to ruffle your feathers in cas you disagreed.

Uncoated 6'6" spin blank: 2.07oz.
Coated with my experimental urethane in "powder blue" : 2.135oz

Pics will be up on my website in a few minutes

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Date: April 25, 2006 12:39PM

Yes you can damage a blank by sanding it. I know for a fact, because I've done it. I remove the finish by lightly sanding first with 400 grit Wet / Dry then clean everything up with 600 grit Wet / Dry.

You just go slow and check your progress often. It's not hard to tell where your at in the process.

Let me say, painting blanks is not something I do everyday. If I can buy the color I'm looking for, then it saves me time and money to do so. But, I get requests from time to time for a particular color, or to match the color scheme of a particular boat. These rods I paint.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.149.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:12PM

Here's how you remove the finish from a blank. First, DO NOT sand it...you will run the risk of damaging the fibers. Get a butterknife, dull edge down and scrape the finish off (back and forth). Once you get it at just the right angle the finish will sort of scrape/peel off. Don't use downward pressure, use slight pressure along the axis of the blank. It's a bit of work, but the risk of damaging the fibers is much less this way. Todd Vivian told me he has done this with a dull razorblade before, Ralph O' Quinn I think used a butter knife like I do. Once you have the excess removed, you can then scotchbrite it with a 7447 maroon pad to even out the surface, wipe clean with IPA, and then recoat.

Pics are up at www.lamarfishing.com

Andy Dear
lamar Fishing Products

Date: April 25, 2006 01:13PM

Andy, just checked out the new paint job. It came out real nice!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 01:13PM by Doug Moore.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:20PM

Doug,

As far as waterbased finishes, we use a paint made by Testors called "Pactra". It was made for painting flexible Lexan R/C cars bodies and has a good flex agent in it. You can find it online or at most Hobby Shops. We shoot it from A Passche gun as well, usually at about 35lbs line pressure. They DO offer a clear, buit we use Perma Gloss over it instead.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:31PM

Andy - why stop at the blank, how does a reel seat look painted with that stuff? How about the butt cap? Why not wrap the guides, and paint those too? Once you've gone that far, you might as well paint your reel to match.

Seriously, it would be nice to have a matching reel seat, reel, and blank - might be something someoen wants to look into as a side job for those of use too lazy to do it ourselves. I'm sure there are a LOT of us in this boat.

Date: April 25, 2006 01:44PM

Thanks for the info Mark.

Andy, I'll have to give the butter knife a try next time. Sounds like it will take less time than the way I've been doing it.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.193.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:50PM

The waterbase urethane were using is much more sophisticated than anything else available off the shelf. This is an industrial grade coating that several of the major US blank manufacturers have and are using in a similiar form...although there "recipe" calls for the finish to be baked in an oven, whereas this one does not. In addition they are using the clear version with a tint for that transparent look. I see no reason why one could not coat a reelseat or anything else with it, provided the surface is prepped properly.

I'll keep you posted as this progresses.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 02:08PM

Doug,

Check out wasco. com. Its a taxidermy supply company and they have a wide variety of natural and vivid colors designed to paint fresh and saltwater fish. I've found them to have the biggest selection of airbrush paint.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster