I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair: sleeve length
Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 05:42AM

Repairing a light spin rod, and have had to cut the blank and make a new ferrule. I am using a fibreglass oversleeve, and I am confident about how to go about it, but I just thought I'd get some more info first.

So what is the minimum sleeve length I can use? On a rod this light I am thinking in the 3 inch range. I have several pieces of f'glass that'll fit. Just wondering, don't want the worst to happen 'cos I didn't allow enough overlap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair: sleeve length
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 06:25AM

I am anything but an expert in the world of repair, Ted, but 3" is the max I would go and you could probably get away with 2" or even a hair less. Are you making an actual ferrule or are you splicing?

Date: April 25, 2006 06:52AM

Thanks Mick. I am making a ferrule. One of the pieces I have is 2.5 inches, and fits the area perfectly (dry fitted). Seeing as the ferrules on production rods routinely go 2 inches plus (seating depth), I have always kept mine to slightly less than 2 inches. This gives me about 3 and a bit inches for the overall length of the sleeve I am using. I am hoping a shorter piece on very light rods would not create any huge stresses. It just looks a little cleaner than a 3.5 ich or even 4 inch piece.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 07:05AM

2.5 sounds pretty good for a ferrule, especially if your definition of a light spin rod is the same as mine. Anything larger I think would just make a flat spot.

Date: April 25, 2006 07:19AM

Cheers for that Mick. The rod is a 2-6 lb spin rod. Originally 1 piece, broken fairly close to the middle. I've extended it just like I did my Loomis SJ6400, and ended up with 2 almost equal sections.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 07:42AM

If you have the artitcle in Rodmaker that showed how to make these repairs and new ferrules, there was also a formula for figuring out the correct length of the sleeve. I don't have it in front of me but if you have that issue it's in there. It might also be in the article on rod repair in the online library on this website.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 07:46AM

Ted,
It sounds to me like what you are planning is about right. If you are worried about the stresses that the ferrule will create they are going to be more a function of the difference in the stiffness of the rod and the ferrule. A stiff area in a rod created by a ferrule results in what is called stress concentration just in front of the stiff area. How much stress is a function of how large the difference in stiffness is between the rod and the ferrule. The larger the difference in stiffness the higher the stress will be.
The reason that fiberglas makes a good ferrule for a graphite rod is that the ferrule will naturally be larger in diameter than the graphite blank and the larger diameter would tend to make it stiffer but the glass has a lower modulus (stiffness) than graphite. A graphite ferrule would result in a much stiffer ferrule and higher stress.

Date: April 25, 2006 08:16AM

Thanks guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster