I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

donated fly rod: "adjusted basis"?
Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 09:59PM

Some of you guys are real keen on this income tax stuff so here it goes...

Last month I built and donated a fly rod to a non-profit conservation club so they could put it up for silent @#$%&. I just got a fill-in tax form from the organization that I'm supposed to complete and return to them. My retail value for the rod--based on what I would charge for the same rod if this was a custom order--was $673 and change. The form asks me for my "cost or adjusted basis". Do I enter my total actual cost for components here? If so, how do I account for my labor? Exactly how much of this fly rod can I write off?

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: donated fly rod: "adjusted basis"?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2006 10:04PM

You can claim a donation or write off up to the amount allowed. How much is that? Remember, your cost is more than your components - these rods don't just jump together. Your labor is part of your cost as well. You'd have to ask your IRS agent (always the wise thing to do) but I would think what they want is what would be considered a wholesale or first point of sale price. For you, this could probably be done via the "constructive sales price" which would be 60% of your retail ($673) price.

Now let me toss this in on you - you'll have to pay excise tax on it if you receive or claim any compensation for it. If you plan to deduct it as a donation and write that amount off as non-taxable, you are receiving a form of value for it and the excise tax is due.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 06:50AM

How is the "constructive sales price" determined and how did you come up with 60%?

I'll certainly talk to a tax person but I knew you would have something valuable to offer. Thanks so much. It's a big help.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 07:58AM

The IRS came up with the 60% thing. Tom, is the excise tax article on the library page? If it is you can get the ruling number for the 60% rule there.

Date: April 25, 2006 08:03AM

"Thus, the Internal Revenue Service has made an allowance in the amount of the selling price which the custom builder and his customer is liable for. This is intended to more closely approximate what the price and the tax would be if sold at the wholesale or jobber level. Such a price adjustment is known as a "Constructive Sale Price" and can be found under IRS ruling 26 CFR 48.4216(9)-2:Constructive Sales Price, basic rules. There is also a revision under: Rul. 81-226. Among custom builders, this is often referred to as the "60% rule."

The article is on the library page. As usual, it never hurts to talk to an IRS person, hopefully one that is knowledgeable on the excise tax. I'll try to get Jack Brown's number for you. For the next little while, he is still the resident head of the Sportfishing Excise Tax division.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 01:09PM

I see. So if I donated this fly rod which retails for $673 by my determination, I can write off 60% or $403.80. And this is the amount that I calculate the excise tax on, right? Again this is a great help. I really appreciate it. And thanks Tom for looking for Jack Brown's #, but I have a local excise tax guy that I can call anytime.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: April 25, 2006 01:25PM

Yeah my local excise guy has been willing in the past to look into sportfishing stuff for me...
So the "adjusted basis" is 60% of my retail total and the amount that I can write off on an outright donation.
Now what if SELL a fly rod to a 503(c) at 60% of my retail cost? Can I then write off the 40% discount that I "donated" to them??

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: April 25, 2006 03:38PM

Yes, when sold to the end user, the excise tax is figured at 10% of 60% of the selling price. When sold to a reseller (dealer, shop, etc.) the tax is a flat 10% of the full selling price. Do keep in mind that a recent revision has capped the tax at $10. So on rods selling for more than about $160, the tax is just $10. Think of it like this, the tax is 10% or $10, whichever is less.

I'd rather see you talk to an IRS agent than rely on me for income tax information. I know a great deal about the excise tax but not nearly so much about general income tax questions. If you have a set retail price and you donate a portion of that price to a club or benefit, you may well be able to at least write off the amount you donated. But better check with the IRS on those type questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 03:45PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: April 25, 2006 04:08PM

Absolutely. Yeah I see how the excise tax works but I'm more concerned with what's allowable for deduction. For fly rods, for me, the FET always gets capped. This gave me a great place to start. As always, thanks a million...

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster