I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new and need advice
Posted by: Justin Poe (---.dhcp.klmt.or.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2006 07:02PM

I am a virgin rod builder who purchased a large assortment of rod building material from a friend. The set-up is complete w/ the exception of blanks. Many of the materials are high-end and I am very hesitant to use them on my first couple of rods (struble, etc).

I would like to order good blanks to LEARN the process and would appreciate any suggestions.

I would also greatly appreciate any tips, hints, reference books/dvd's, or previous threads that are related.

Thank you very much,

Justin Poe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new and need advice
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 07:16PM

Almost all of the previous threads are related to rod building in one form or another.
What type of rods are you waning to build?
You can look in the library on the site and get some good tips on building.
Also can go to Mud hole tackle one of the sponsors on the left 's web site. In the beginning of their catalog they have some basic instruction Bingham's web site has a section that would be helpful also.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2006 07:28PM

Use the FAQS and online library on this site to get started.

The Flex Coat DVD, How We Do It, is a good basic beginners guide to all the steps associated with rod building.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 07:53PM

I'm pretty new at this too. I spent $35 on a DVD and was dissapointed in it. The best thing I did was spend $14.95 on Tom Kirkman's book (Rod-Building Guide). I bought it at Mudhole. I think if you bought that and the Flex Coat DVD that Tom Kirkman mentioned you will be on your way. Do a search here on this site for any questions you have. Most of it has been asked before, and it is a courtesy to do your homework and search out the answer first (although you won't get in trouble here even if you post basic questions).

I hear that Tom Kirkman has written another book and you will want to buy that when it is published.

Welcome to rod building!

Chuck

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 08:13PM

Tell you what - don't sweat it and just build it. The most expensive rod I have built to date was also the first one I built. Taht was many, many rods ago. I have no regrets and that rod has done me proud twice this year on trophy fish. Don't worry so much... have fun with it - a few boo-boo's on your first few will give them appreciated character down the road as you try to approach perfection - it is hard to create perfection - the artist is always the largest critic of their own work.
Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 10:04PM

Justin,

Just jump in with both feet, enjoy the craft, ask questions, learn from mistakes and have a huge amount of fun. Get Tom's book to get started.

Stan

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 22, 2006 10:13PM

My entry into rod-building was out of need - to repair the rods I'd worn out. I was the kind of kid who took apart my toys when they broke. And even took some apart before I ever broke or even played with them. ...

But this is not my auto-biography - this is about you, Justin Poe. Depending on how much in mechanical skills and knowledge of tools you have acquired elsewhere in your life, the best thing you maybe can do for yourself is to TEAR DOWN and old rod FIRST, before you try to build a new one up. ... (That's how some kids start their training in auto mechanics!)

If you don't have an old fishing rod that needs a rebuild, don't trash one of your own. Invest $20 in your rod-building education - buy a CHEAPO factory-made rod and tear it limb from limb.

You just want to salvage some of the forward section of the rod blank for SCRAP as a subject for your first test wraps, when you get ready to practice your epoxy technique once, BEFORE you mess-up your guide wraps or that beautiful little diamond wrap you were thinking of doing.

Conduct your experiments with this poor sacrificial rod. Examine how it was put together. Look and see if the guide feet were ground, and practice once on them. Smash the guides with a hammer and see if the rings crack. Hacksaw thru the reel seat and try to twist off one side with a pair of channel lock pliers. Torque off the tip-top tube and hear the fibers creak & snap. Or torch it with a cigarette lighter - don't touch the hot tube!. I remember setting my first one on fire, ... Whatever - LEARN.

For $20, you'll have a ticket to learn about rod construction, material strength, component choices, etc.

As far as buying some rod blanks, you may want to do a less expensive rod blank first. LOTS of options in that category. Try a simple spinning or fly rod for starters. Look around at www.FishSticks4U.com for RainShadow Rod Blanks and ForeCast Components.

RX6 Fly Rod Blanks (F series): 2-piece ~ $20 to $30
[fishsticks4u.com]

Spin Bass Multi-Purpose Blanks (ISB / SB): 1-piece ~ $20 to $30
[fishsticks4u.com]

Forecast E-Glass Spinning & Casting Blanks (SPG): 1-piece ~ $8 to $15
[fishsticks4u.com]

Meanwhile, get the FC-DVD or FC-Booklet ($7) and Tom Kirkman's book ($15). Do some homework and keep coming back here for more solutions as questions arise.

Good Luck, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 10:36AM by Moderator.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 07:09AM

Also check the directory at the top of the page for a builder near you.Or the friend who sold you the stuff may be able to help out at the begining.Sometimes a little human input is needed.Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.76.114.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 07:27AM

Good advice so far. Most any of the sponsors will be happy to help you out too. Give them a call and they can hook you up with good blank and components that won't break the bank. Checking out the sale racks at local shops can be good too. Sometimes you can find a decent rod for next to nothing, and as Cliff said, it isn't going to hurt to learn how to strip a rod, as if you do this long enough, you'll wind up having to anyway to rebuild one for a friend, or rebuild one that you did yourself after your skills improve.

Also, high end components can be hazardous to a beginner's health. For your own safety, I recommend that you trade me your Strubles for some low end seats that I have here. :)

Welcome to the addiction.

Posted by: Justin Poe (---.dhcp.klmt.or.charter.com)
Date: April 23, 2006 05:36PM

Thank you everyone for your guidance, advise and time. I have recieved many helpful tips that I will certainly use.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 23, 2006 10:00PM

Justin, The best investment that you can make is $15 for a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman. Takes you through every phase/step of building a rod with 100 pix. Great resourse, along with this forum. Have fun!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 10:49PM

Justin,

I'd like to reiterate Mike's suggestion about "RodBuilders Guide". It'll save you a ton of anguish.

For others difficulties, look to this forum for things to consider and get familiar with using the search features - lots of info there on most any rodbuilding topic.

Lots of experienced folks here willing to give you answers (approaches/opinions) to most any of your questions.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster