I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off topic epoxy question for Ralph O.
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 03:51PM

My float tube bladder and the filler tube separated at the flange. I roughed the surface with 1000 grit paper and applied 30 min. epoxy to fix this and allowed it to cure overnight. When I put air in it leaked and I removed a neat washer of epoxy. It didn't adhere at all. This floatation bladder & the filler tube is made of some high tech plastic, extremely slick. The bladder looks like the old Simms KBS waders I once had and the filler tube looks like high pressure hose. My budget says fix, not replace. Ralph, what bonds with this stuff? Thanks in advance. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2006 03:54PM by Ralph Jones.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off topic epoxy question for Ralph O.
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: April 22, 2006 05:26PM

You might try Rod Bond, I bet it would work. I have patched holes in my waders, both breathable and neoprene and it has worked great, also broken china cups and all all kind of Honey Do projects around the house.

Never know till you try it.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2006 05:29PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 22, 2006 06:39PM

Ralph,
There should have been a repair kit in the pockets of your float tube for repairing the vinyl bladders.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2006 07:17PM

Aqua Seal, made by Trondak, is the more likely adhesive to fix this type material. You can find it at most Camping or outdoor stores, as well as at most fly shops.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 08:08PM

Personally - for waders and rubber boots I have never found anything to work better than Shoe Goo - that stuff rocks. I have lots of it in use around here and it stay flexible but is very adhesive and doesn't come loose as inferior products seem to - in fact might just have to try it for tennessee rod handles for kicks - HHMMMM! Try it for your float tube and report back your results - please, Chuck Ungs

Date: April 22, 2006 08:28PM

Bob, I thought about Rod Bond but I wanted more information before I made another mess. Spencer, yes, I have a couple of short pieces of tape each wrapped around a piece of what looks like drinking straw. If there was a tear or puncture in the vinyl or whatever this stuff is I'd have used it. Tom, Chuck, I have some Shoe Goo in a drawer.If it doesn't work I'll buy some Aqua Seal and try it. Thank you all. Ralph

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 22, 2006 11:31PM

Hiya, Ralph Jones - You said, "I have some Shoe Goo in a drawer. If it doesn't work, I'll buy some Aqua Seal and try it."

I kinda suspect that some elasticity in the glue is required, which is one reason why too thick a layer of adhesive or too stiff an adhesive is a problem.

If your Float Tube does not have a patch kit like Spencer said, splurge and buy the AquaSeal, like Tom said. If Ralph O'Quinn made it, it should hold up. ...

If your Shoe-Goo repair holds up in the test run in the house, but fails on your second trip, you'll soon be in some very deep goo-goo yourself.

Use whatever repair kit the manufacturer recommends or ROQ's AquaSeal.

Unless you're using a pair of body-hugging waders, NOBODY swims very well in a pair of waders that fills with water because your float tube let you down. ...

Check your Baptismal Certificate and Life Insurance Policy before your next "Bon Voyage!" ... Better safe than sorry, - 'could've drowned once myself - been there, done that! ...Water-filled waders SINK, and getting out of them is a job for Houdini. ... (Maybe the neoprene style waders provide some bouyancy.)

IMO, Unless you're a cat with 8 of your 9 lives left,
do it right or get a new tube.
Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 10:33AM by Moderator.

Posted by: Darin Travis (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 02:14AM

I'm not exactly sure what your float tube materials are made of. But I will tell you that pond liner adhesive has a very stong and flexible bond to
most any vinyl and pvc type materials. I use it at work to seal pond liners around pvc and plastic pipes in storm water retention ponds. As well
as fast repair on my rubber boots and rain gear. applied like contact cement and available just about anywhere they sell pond equip.

Darin Travis

Darin Travis

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 24, 2006 12:47AM

Tom
The only Aqua Seal made by Trondak is manufacturted for the purpose of sealing leather boots, and making the leather completely waterproof. This technology is exactly the opposite of the technology that is used for bonding. The Aqua Seal you are thinking of is manufactured by the McNett corporation in Bellingham WA. About 100 miles north of Trondak, and it is an excellent product. I concur with your recommendation that it should be an excellent choice for this application, except that Ralph Jones must understand it will still require the proper preparation for bonding. This bond application is to highly plastisized rubbery compounds, usually neoprene, and/or butyl. The plastisizer is acting as an ANTI-Bond agent and must be removed. It can be removed by diligently scrubbing the surface to be bonded with denatured alcohol, then abrading the surface with a very rough abrasion ---100 grit sandpaper will do the job 1000 grit never. All this will do is smear the plastisizer around. After the proper surface preparation The McNett aquaseal or even rodbond will make his tube as good as new. Personally I prefer to use a good waterproof CONTACT adhesive for this application, and have performed this exact job several times with contact adhesives with perfect results.

Ralph

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2006 03:35PM

Right - your's is the waterproofing liquid and theirs is the "goop" type stuff. Sorry. I think you even told me this back in February.

Date: April 24, 2006 06:47PM

Thank you, Ralph. Thank you, other folks. Ralph, I did as you said and it's curing as I write this. The day after tomorrow I plan to inflate the bladder inside the float tube to see if I did it correctly. Even though I followed your directions to the letter I think there are Gremlins here. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster