I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Reamer from Mudhole
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 10:04PM

Has anyone used this product yet in a lathe, particular the PSI turncrafter:
[shop.mudhole.com] ?

If so what were your thoughts. If you think you got something better for reaming that is compatible for the PSI, send me a link please. I just ordered my lathe and I am getting ready to start the damage:)

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Reamer from Mudhole
Posted by: Leon Mack (---.dsl.sndg02.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 10:51PM

Hey: I made one with the Grit 3M Scuff Pad Reamer Abrasive from mudhole. I don't use it in my lathe but I do use it as a power reamer in my hand drill. I followed the directions and used contact cement and have had no problems at all. If you can find some blank pieces then you can make an assortment to fit your needs pretty easily.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2006 10:53PM

Jeffrey,
I build handles that are usually turned on mandrels like those Andy at Lamar sells. My handles are mostly cork and usually have different exotic burled wood and some corian inserts here and there. Usually I turn on a 3/8 inch mandrel. I take the cork and just use a hand drill with a 3/8 inch bit and shoot the opening and place on the mandrel. When I do wood I use the lathe and a 4 jaw chuck on the head stock to hold the wood turning blank and a 1/2 inch drill chuck on the tail stock. I bore the wood about 2 inches at a time and then back out and reset the tail stock closer to bore another 2 inches and so on. After the wood is bored I place it on the 3/8 inch mandrel. and glue up any cork and wood components on the mandrel and place the whole thing in a cork clamp to dry. Then chuck the mandrel into the 1/2 inch drill chuck at the headstock with a 60 degree live center at the tail. Turn and sand the whole assembly. I usually do the buffing while it is still on the mandrel. Then I remove the whole finished handle assembly and drill both ends with whatever size bit is needed with a hand drill slowly to fit the rod I'm building.

The only time I really need a cork reamer is when I'm doing an oddball cork ring here and there...and maybe to ream out arbors or open blank reel seats...inwhich only takes minimal effort by hand.

Are you looking to use the reamer to speed up the process of sizing the ID of each cork ring or are you reaming something other than cork?

I tried chucking a reamer in my 1/2 inch drill chuck and although it worked, I ended up overreaming most of them...lol...it seemed easier to just drill them with my hand held.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2006 10:54PM by Jeff Harding.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 11:24PM

Jeff--

I am just using reamer after rod comes off mandrell at the end. I measure the blank to find the appropriate mandrell before starting to make it easier. I am using Andy's mandrells too, and his cork...

Thanks,

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2006 11:40PM

I see...that's probably the most primitive part of my process....making sure when I use a drill to bore the finished handle assembly I dont make it explode like a bottle rocket...usually when I take it nice n slow everything goes well...havent had one come apart yet....lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster