I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decals
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 07:57PM

Hey, folks, I'm in need of some immediate help with decals.

I obtained a large sheet of decal material from either The Rod Room of Fishsticks4U but it's late on Fri night and I'm stuck on how to use it. I've printed what I wanted on the film with my inkjet printer, but I'm not sure (a) that I did it on the correct side of the material and (b) how I now make a decal out of it that I can put on a rod.

This stuff is called ScotchCal ElectroCut.

Can anybody help me? I'll be monitoring this board for the next hour or so - - -

Thanks
Uncle Russ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 09:26PM

OK. I figured out which side to use, and how to peel it off. Now the question is how long does it take to dry so that it's usable? Should I heat it?

Uncle Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2006 09:27PM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2006 10:01PM

Russ,
I wish I could give you some advice, but I have had no luck at all with inkjet printers and decals. Not money well spent in my opinion on inkjet decal paper. I am trying to get an Alps Printer and then I will go to town on decals..............Good luck with your decals.........Take care

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 10:39PM

Russ,

Normally you have to "clear coat' inkjet decals. Just like dipping an inkjet copy in water, the colors will run when you apply finish. I haven't used an inkjet peel & stick in ages, but I THINK it's the same procedure as an inkjet waterslide decal, where you simply spray it with clear Krylon (Lowes/Home Depot) before application. That will seal the ink so that the coat of finish won't make it run or bleed.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2006 11:10AM

If you're using an inkjet, you'd most likely want to coat the ink with a clear fixative or similar. As Mark says, it will run if you don't. I use Krylon Clear Acrylic for this very purpose.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: May 15, 2006 01:14AM

Thanks, all. I think I found a partial solution - use the Staples Ink Jet mailing labels in white. They seem flexible enough and the ink dries well on them. I like the fixative spray idea and will try it too. They are made for Staples by Avery and I use Word to select the Avery label template and then replace the template "model" labels with the image I want to use. The clear labels also seem to work but turn out very dark against a dark blank. I think this best use for these might be for silver or gold coloured imprints of the "Made For" and "Made By" labels.

They also make goldf and silver foil lables but I haven't tried them yet.

If you have white in the pattern apparently it will show through clear where you wanted white to be - what I've found out so far is that white won't be printed on a transparency setting.

It's also true that I'm trying to avoid buying a separate printer for this purpose. I can hand-letter my rods using pens and inks specific to the application, but it's "pictures" I'm trying to do that have generated the need.

Uncle Russ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster