I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Veterans Rod Project Update
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 07:16PM

Ok, After additional investigating, It has become apparent that this candidate inwhich we were going to build these rods for is NOT going to work out. After researching for most of the day with some help from a fellow RBO member, It has become known to us through DOD records and Several different agencies and sites that report Veterans that intentionally misrepresent themselves as being POW's for one reason or another, this man, John Powell has on numerous occasions represented himself as being a POW at the Zoo in Vietnam from 69 through 72 when infact he was an aircraft mechanic who never was a POW at the zoo or anywhere else. I do feel that as a veteran who is disabled due to a stroke he would normally be a great candidate to build a rod for...POW or not...but since he has intentionally lied to others of his POW status, I would say we need to move onto a different canidate.

We have come up with a group of RBO members who will be chairing a committee. This committee will be working with Paralyzed Veterans Of America Heritage Foundation. This is a group of over 21,000 members who are veterans with a disability who also have a love for the outdoors. Tomorrow I have a phone meeting with Mike Delanney from this org. and he will be supplying with canidates who are disabled vets who love to fish who financially wouldn't be able to afford a $500 Custom Rod. if they were to want one. These will be pre screened candidates for this project and he will also supply us with DD214's that give us info on a candidates branch of service, Unit, Years served, Locations stationed, as well as citations received. Based on this info we will be able to custom build a rod that honors a candidates specific service in a personalized way

Tom has given this project his blessing and agreed to supply a table at next years rod show to show past project photos and recruit additional builders to help with the project.

The committee formed to select candidates is
Big John (Texas)
Ray Krebs (Virginia)
Ray Adams ( California)
Jeff Harding (S.D.)
Mick McComesky (Missouri)

Geographically this represents the US pretty well and all of these members have ties with local VA offices, Etc. The purpose of this committee again, is just to work through the selection and coordination of each project. Once a candidate is selected...(About every six weeks or so) the committee will bring all the info on that canidate to the RBO forum and post all the details in a topic. All of the Builders here at RBO are welcome to volunteer in the building and contributing to make that project possible. Posts on that topic can be used to plan what type and design the rod will have etc.

We have had emails from several sponsors and individuals on this project offering blanks, cork, components, reels, tackle, etc. The resources needed to make this whole project work are definately there and sounds as if they will continue to be. There are dozens of builders anxious to help out too. With an Organization like PVA providing us with screened candidates that fit what we are looking for...and a committee to help steer the process through selection and organize the build, I think this thing is gonna be huge...I cant wait to get started.

Again I apologize for the whole mishap with this previous canidate, but after extensive research, I have to admit I was duped. With this committee and new plan for future projects, this should not happen again.

Thanks so much,
Jeff Harding

I have a phone conference with Paralyzed Veterans Tomorrow and should have our first canidate by next week after bringing leads to the committee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2006 07:18PM by Jeff Harding.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Veterans Rod Project Update
Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:01PM

Jeff,
You may have been mislead by one person but in my mind that does not mean that the whole program is not a great idea and that there are not a lot of veterans out there that we should be showing our appreciation to for covering our back sides at a very high cost to themselves. And frankly I do not care if they were injured in WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Desert Storm or wherever. In fact, I do not even care much how they were injured. They could have fallen out of bed in a house of ill repute and hurt their back and I would still like to help you with your efforts to get a rod to them.

By the way, I think that it is a classy thing that Tom is doing as well providing a table at the High Point show for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2006 08:05PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:20PM

Keep your head up, Jeff. You've done the right thing all the way. Just keep shoving on, it'll all come out well in the end. The whole idea is very commendable.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:38PM

Amen!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 09:21PM

Just a bump in the road!! Still with you all the way on this!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 19, 2006 09:56PM

Thanks for your support guys....I just learned of a double amputee, 23 yrs old who lost his legs rolling over a pressure plate mine in Fallujah...and he loves to fish....After some thorough research I will bring it to the committee and get back to you. I would imagine it would be hard to fake an injury of this nature and with this happening in the last two years there should be ample documentation on this canidate.
Jeff

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 10:06PM

Keep it up Jeff..............

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Date: April 19, 2006 11:36PM

I received this email from Jim Ellis from Crystal Lake MN...Jim is a fellow RBO guy who is just getting going building rods and I want to thank him for referring this candidate to us. I have to tell you all this individual is from Mankato MN and that is only about 2 hrs away from me. I have been following his story in the news and the papers and this is also a very legit candidate.

((((Jeff,
Keep up the good work for veterans. I am a veteran myself. I just thought you might want the name of a very deserving veteran who just got hurt in Iraq. Spc Jason McNamara from Mankato, Minnesota just got both legs shattered. He is in Walter Reed medical center at this time. he will have several months of rehab. I am helping with a small benefit here next weekend. A nice rod would probably bring his spirits up some. Just a thought. I can forward you more info if you would like. Jason is in ward 57 at Walter Reed. I am also a beginner rod builder.
Where are you from in S.D.?
Jim Ellis
Lake Crystal, MN. 56055 ))))

I will be following up on Jason and with Jim's help will verify this candidate with the committee.

Possibly may do both projects ASAP if the interest and offers are still on the table to help. Thanks much!!!, Jeff

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 20, 2006 07:15AM

Sorry I'm late getting in on this post but I,ve been tied up this week. I am a life member of DAV and I get my care at the V.A. in Tuscaloosa Alabama. I live in north Mississippi and please add my name to help in any way I can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster