I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HOW SLOW IS TOO SLOW
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 10:44AM

A buddy of mine just found a rotisery motor that spins at 1.7 rpms. Is this too slow for a drying motor. i notice that most of you have motors that are5-10 rpms. Why is that? Someone please teach me. ike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW SLOW IS TOO SLOW
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 11:09AM

Ike,
You will get a lot of ideas on this but I like 6 RPM. Whatever does good for you. I think the motor you have may be a little slow. What it will do is make you an excellent marbeling motor. That is just about the right speed..........Have a good day

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 12:03PM

I used a 3-4 rpm for years and it was fine.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 12:23PM

i have a 6rpm. you are not supposed to take very much time in applying thread finish on each foot, but on my 9 foot fly rods, i found the finish was starting to thicken by the time i reached the end. i have quickened my time at each guide, and now wrap primarily 7-8 foot fly rods so that's helped, but i think a slightly faster spin would help me further.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 12:53PM

I've used a 2 RPM for over 20 years. You can put the finish on before putting it in the rotator, too, to hasten things up.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 01:01PM

I use a 4 RPM motor for my dryer and 200 rpm to apply epoxy to the rod. The faster speed works great to get the epoxy on quickly. Once applied, the rod goes on the dryer.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 01:47PM

Quite a few guys don't even use a motor. They just turn it by hand every so often. I would think as long as it moves, it should work whether it is 1 rpm or 10.
You are just trying to prevent any sags. Here's the kicker though. You should be applying the finish thin enough so cohesion would prevent most sags. I use the motor because I am not that good at keeping the coats thin. Yes, it really is the trick.
Just my opinion....Kevin

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 01:47PM

Quite a few guys don't even use a motor. They just turn it by hand every so often. I would think as long as it moves, it should work whether it is 1 rpm or 10.
You are just trying to prevent any sags. Here's the kicker though. You should be applying the finish thin enough so cohesion would prevent most sags. I use the motor because I am not that good at keeping the coats thin. Yes, it really is the trick.
Just my opinion....Kevin

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 02:14PM

Ike: I used a rotisserie motor for a year or two and still use it if I have several rods curing at the same time.... Bob

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 02:37PM

Rotate the rod by hand as you apply finish, then mount on the dryer motor.

Trying to jury-rig a 1.7 rpm motor willwork, but you will save yourself so much more time and avoid all the aggravation if you buy a ready made flexcoat dryer, or one from @#$%&.

Lou

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 19, 2006 02:56PM

A motor that slow, if you do not put on too much finish, will work just fine. It will also make a very tender, self-basted fishing rod, that you can literally pull apart with your fingers. That's handy.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 03:57PM

Ike,
The rotisserie will work just fine! used one for a long time myself!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 07:57PM

Ike:
If you don’t use it as a direct drive, but instead rig it up with a pulley set like a bike you can increase the speed to what you want. Use small pulley on motor. Larger one on what ever you set up as a chuck. You can get a drive belt like what is used on sewing machine from a sewing machine repair place, or one that is used on an upright vacuum cleaner from wall marts and then you will know how far apart you will have to set your pulley’s. You can buy the pulley’s from a hardware store. You want the belt with a little tension on it. To loose it will slip, to tight and it will put the motor in a bind.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:15PM

It will work fine. I have various speeds but usually turn by hand for hour or so then use a 2 or 3 rpm dryer

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:34PM

I am sure as others will mention it should work fine. I built for years using one and turned out some very fine work, if I might sat so.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:35PM

I am sure as others will mention it should work fine. I built for years using one and turned out some very fine work, if I might say so.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: April 20, 2006 08:21AM

Hey Ike! Maybe you should just wait until our tourney before you build a dryer...you just might want to give up fishing. :)

Seriously though - Here is a link to a site with lots of motor possibilities: [www.herbach.com] Click on Motors on the left. I think you can find something for a small single rod dryer or something with enough torque for a drum dryer.

Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster