I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aussie visitor
Posted by: Jon Lane (203.52.130.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 01:44AM

G'day folks,
I'm an Aussie (Hobart, Tasmania) visiting Northern California (San Francisco) and Reno in mid-May for a conference, and as it's hard to get rod building stuff here I was wondering if anyone knew of any good stores in the area around Northern Cal / West Nevada. Also; I'd love to do some Bass fishing whilst I'm there - can anyone suggest any destinations? Thanks again for your replies,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aussie visitor
Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 09:34AM

Jon
I just moved from the Sacramento Valley in Northern California to Kentucky about nine mouths ago. I got a lot of my rod building product from Fisherman’s Warehouse in Sacramento California which is between San Francisco and Reno.

The manager of Fisherman’s Warehouse is Alan Fong a good friend of mine he also guides, when he has time on the San Joaquin Delta for Bass or what ever is biting. If you’re interested in more information please let me know and I will be glad to send more information.

Lynn Williams

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 09:44AM

Hi Jon,
Hi's Tackle in San Francisco is a good place to check out.
Lake Berryessa is between the Bay area and Sacramento. Clear Lake about 2 1/2 hrs
north of Sacramento is well known for some great bass fishing. Folsom Lake is also
worth looking into.

Allan Fong is also doing a local fishing show called "Fun Fishing"! A new Fishermans Warehouse
store has opened in Rocklin just north of Sacramento and most of the rod building section was
moved to that location.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 12:13PM

Can't tell you about any stores to get your rod building needs but definitely go to Clear Lake. Great bass fishing in May. The bass can get huge and you should be able to get a good reaction bite for the smaller guys(crankbaits, spinnerbaits, rip baits...) around that time. Try and find a guide to book. A lot of guys get lost on Clear Lake bcz it can be frustrating to figure out. But get a guide and there is an awesome chance of you having a great day. look some guides up. But Berryessa is awesome tooo.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 02:18PM

Check out The Rod Rack in Hayward 510-881-1775 lots of Rainshadow/Forecast products many other brands too.

Lynn How was your move? Drop me a line when you get a chance I have been wondering how things are going for you.

Posted by: Jon Lane (203.52.130.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 06:01PM

Hey folks,
thanks heaps for the replies - most appreciated!! It's actually quite hard to get rod-building stuff here - almost everything is done by mail order and I usually end up getting everything from the states anyway, so to be able to actually go and have a play with blanks, etc, and actually feel what I'm looking at instead of just trying to work out what I want by "hit and miss" will be excellent!!! Anyway, at least I figured if I'm going to head over for a conference I can save myself some postage costs bringing stuff back...(credit card look out!).... In regards to the fishing, Clear Lake sounds great. I figure at this stage I'll fly in to SF, then drive up to Sacramento, look around for the day while I get over my jet lag, then head out fishing the next day. If anyone knows any good guides, or has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

cheers,
Jon

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 20, 2006 05:15AM

Hi Jon,

Check out Rocklin's Fisherman'sWarehouse sine you'll be driving right past it on your way to Reno. Its right off Interstate 80 which is what you will take to get to Reno. Rocklin is about 15-20 miles north of sacramento. They do not have a lot of rod building stuff, at least not the last time I was there, but its still worth stopping to check. Its a truely a fisherman's toy store. If you think you'll be fishing the greater Sacramento area please fill free to contact me. I've lived here my whole life and would be happy to assist you if I can.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.52.130.---)
Date: April 23, 2006 10:51PM

Hi Lynn,

could you please email me Alan Fong's info? I'll be in Reno for a conference, but intend on doing a bit of fishing in the northern california area afterwards, so any help either you or Alan could give regarding locations and tackle would be great.

thanks again,

Jon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster