I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lite and High Build in same syringes
Posted by: Jeff Wright (15.243.169.---)
Date: April 18, 2006 11:47AM

Can I use the same measuring syringes for FlexCoat High Build and Lite build without cleaning them?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lite and High Build in same syringes
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2006 12:05PM

Don't see why not, but see what others have to say!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: April 18, 2006 12:20PM

I think the hardener is the same, but the resins are different. That may create potential problems.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 18, 2006 01:02PM

I do it all the time with no adverse effects. Maybe it's wrong to do, but I do. If someone speaks up with potential problems, I'll consider stopping the practice.

Jay

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 18, 2006 01:10PM

I dunno, buy a $1.75 set of syringes for each type of finish and you'll never have to worry about it?

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.tci.com)
Date: April 18, 2006 04:36PM

You are right on Billy - better safe than sorry - I choose not to take that chance - The syringes are a low cost item in the greater component scheme

If people spent more time on important things, there would be a shortage of flyrods.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 18, 2006 06:36PM

Jeff,
I have been doing what you suggest for a lot of years and have never had any problems.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 12:28PM

You can use the same syringe interchangeable without cleaning between, with any epoxy on the market. The hardeners are somewhat different but the tiny itsy bitsy amount of one product transferred to the next is not going to affect the finished product in any detectable manner. ALL of the room temperature curing epoxies on the rodbuilding market are very very very similar. Basically they are all an epoxy resin containing various additives to seek certain properties known only by the formulator of the product, and an Amine compound, which is the hardener side of the equation. There are more differences in the amines than in the epoxies, but basically one syringe is not about to be contaminated by using it without cleaning it, in the competitors product. This is not true if you try using a syringe that has been used in epoxies, then try using it in the hardener.
Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster