I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extending Allstar 1208
Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2006 10:59PM

Is it feasable to make a removable extension for this blank? I bought the 1208 when I really wanted the 1508. I couldn't locate an Allstar 1508 and made a spur of the moment blank purchase on Saturday at one of my local shops (I think I maybe should have kept my wallet shut and ordered a Rainshadow 1508. I have the aluminum tubing which will fit over the blank if I trim it (I think) just a couple or three inches. Before I get started, is there any way to make a removable extension? If not, I am going to have one long ass rod to tote around. Do any of you have 13 foot one piece rods? Please share some of the troubles that you deal with above and beyond 10 foot one piece sticks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extending Allstar 1208
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2006 08:06AM

The only way I can think to make it removeable would be to mount a short aluminum piece over the butt, and then fix some sort of threaded section there so that another threaded piece of aluminum will fit that one and give you the length you're after.

This is one of those things that I'd have to think over a bit more before I could really give you a good answer. The first thing that pops into my mind is to sell the 1208 and buy the 1508 if that is really what you want.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 18, 2006 01:05PM

take a look at the pac bay butts ( or the stuart ones ) they come in 17 and 19 inch lengths
Just a quick thought

allen

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 18, 2006 03:31PM

You can make a 1208 into a two piece rod, but you'll need a second 1208 to trim down to make into a butt section. So to answer your question - it is feasible (possible)? Yes it is. You have to measure, and remeasure, and remeasure as you slowly trim the tip off the butt section until it fits the tip, then wrap the ferrule as usual.

The rainshadow 1508 is pretty thin walled around the ferrule when compared to the allstar 1508 - first thing I do on those things is wrap the ferrule BEFORE I do anything more to the blank, even if I have to replace the ferrule wrap before finishing. I am afraid the thin wall on these blanks is going to split while I am doing the fitting and spining. they are quite thin.

I have two allstar 1508s that I have been sitting on hoping to build myself two new heavers (also need a set of boat rods), but I rarely build anything for myself and they have been sitting on the overhead rack along with other blanks. My present drum rods are old lamiglas 11.5' one piece graphite rods, that I built many years ago. Built on slow action, nicely tapered, LIGHTWEIGHT, GSB-1361MH one-piece blanks. So I know what you're saying about toting around a long rod.....

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster