I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank extensions
Posted by: Keith Terlinden (156.142.3.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 12:00PM

Looking for some help on blank extensions. I need some extensions that are the size of a heavy action musky blank. Is there any companies that carry them?

Any help would be appreciated.
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank extensions
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 17, 2006 12:49PM

Below, these are inexpensive, full-length rod blanks that can be cut to size. I don't know who sells scraps or "extensions" per se. Many manufacturers do NOT want to sell sections or "seconds" - that protects their reputation.

I don't know why you want to make an extension. But have you thought of just looking for a rod blank of a more suitable original length; or a ferruled rod; or a multi-piece rod blank? Maybe a Flippin' Stick? Or nice Musky Series? Or ferruled reel seat?

Batson's RainShadow or Forecast Rod Blanks offer a variety of options that may suit your needs. ... Look around at [fishsticks4u.com] to see what I am talking about.

For making your own extension sections, these may work for you:

FORECAST Solid Fiberglass Saltwater Blanks. 72" - 80" Long.
8 Models. Butt ODs (0.385" - 0.695"). Tip ODs (0.105" - 0.281")
[fishsticks4u.com] $10-$25

FORECAST E-Glass Saltwater Blanks (SWB)
18 Models. ~$21-$38. [fishsticks4u.com]

Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL_USA*****

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (147.145.40.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 01:10PM

Keith,
Lamiglas and quite a few companies carry extensions that were originally designed for extending surf blanks. I think a lighter, cheaper and a faster fix would be to use a piece of aluminum tube as an oversleeve. Tom had a fantastic article on extending blanks back in the 2004 back issues I believe.

Posted by: Keith Terlinden (156.142.3.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 02:10PM

Thanks Guys.

The trend is for longer sticks 8+ and I have been using Lamiglass extensions but the diameter is not enough.

I would be interested in seeing his article. How would I get ahold of it.

This is a Great Site.

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2006 02:12PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 17, 2006 03:15PM

Kieth, The link to Rodmaker magazine on the left for back issues. Their is a complete index in the library above.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 03:46PM

Keith,

I just finished my very 1st extension. I'm very pleased with it. I just took an old rod that fit inside the blank, -it was a little smaler-wrapped thread on the short piece until I got a near perfect tight fit inside the rod, then wrapped thread on the lower piece until I built it up to the size of the rod blank and tapered it larger towards the end just like the rod should be. I then removed the piece, sanded the blank inside, applied epoxy over the whole extensionand put the two together. I only added 8" so everything is totally hidden UNDER the handle and reel seat. NO WAY anyone would ever know.

Then I took it out (7'6" med action crankbait rod) and caught a 25lb Carp with it by sheer accident, the rod held wonderfully of course, even doubled over to the handle :)

Don't be afraid to make a short extension under the handle if you need to.

DR

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 05:17PM

Keith,
Volume6 Issue 3.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.254.185.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 18, 2006 07:37PM

Keith, What diameter are you looking for? Ed

Posted by: keith terlinden (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 18, 2006 07:47PM

I am adding 6 inches and the taper needs to go to about 7/8 of an inch.

I build a bunch of sticks and I would like to find something with that diameter rather then building the extension to fit.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster