I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver
Posted by: Mike Edmonds (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 17, 2006 09:42AM

Being new to the rod making world I need some advice on use of color preserver. On a repair over the week-end when I applied epoxy to a wrap that I had applied color preserver to approximatley 3-4 hrs earlier I had bubbles that looked like they were coming from under the wrap. Just looking at the finish with the naked eye the thread looked metal flake. When looking under the magnifying light you could see hundreds of tiny bubbles.

Advice would be greatly appriciated.

By the way, Thanks for the help on the locking wrap.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2006 09:49AM

Take another look and make sure those really are bubbles. They may be the solids in the CP that seal the thread. This usually create a "sparkle" in the thread.

If they are bubbles, then the CP is not the problem. You have to do all you can not to introduce bubbles when mixing the finish and you should not use a brush to "paint" the finish on, brushing around and back and forth. Use it only as applicator tool, loading it and lowering it to the wraps and then revolving the rod underneath it. Make one or two turns, reload the brush and move over and do it again. Brushing introduces air which creates bubbles.

I don't think this is your problem, but I'd give my CP a bit longer drying time than just 3 to 4 hours. It's likely okay, but I'd wait at least 12 if it were me.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 10:05AM

I've found a good rule of thumb with CP is to wait at least until the wraps are no longer dark and the original color has mostly returned.

Also, I've found one good coat to be better than multiple coats and it helps to prevent the sparkles or flaking that can occur with CP.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Edmonds (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 18, 2006 06:32AM

I have been applying epoxy with a spatchula and have not had to much trouble with bubbles. I have been using a heat gun to control the few bubbles that do show up with good results. Do you think I may have over heated? The sparkles sure look like tiny bubbles to me. I'm getting close to finishing another rod with thread that requires CP. I will wait longer on the drying time. (Propabley 24 Hrs.) I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2006 08:47AM

I don't know if that's your problem, but I do know (you don't want to know how) that too much heat from a heat gun canl "Boil" the finish and cause a TON of extremely fine bubbles

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2006 08:47AM by Mike Barkley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster