I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Curved Butt Offshore rods
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 14, 2006 12:55PM

What's the advantage of the Aftco bent butt rods, and why isn't that advantage taken by any other types of rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curved Butt Offshore rods
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 02:26PM

Possibly related to leverage? Could it be that they provide some benefit to being used in a fighting chair? Other types of rods (fly, casting, etc...) are not used in such a situation.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 14, 2006 02:57PM

Bret, I'm thinking it's leverage myself. Which is what got me thinking - most of the rods I build are for Party Boats, where a lot of peopel will use the rail. Casting isn't important, as you can only cast underhand (although you can flip it out pretty far).

It might be advantageous for certain rods to have a curved butt, maybe not curved, but offset on a downward or upward angle, to maximize fish fighting. Not that there is anythign wrong with the rod being straight, it's just htat Pistol grip and remembering the Japanese reel seats (I think the old Fenwicks?) are a little bit offset.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.org)
Date: April 14, 2006 04:16PM

As per AFTCO.....

[www.merricktackle.com]

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.5.241.---)
Date: April 14, 2006 04:53PM

The curved butts give an angler much more leverage on fish than straight butts. They are typically used for fighting chair situations although they can be had in short stand-up styles also. For stand-up fishermen to really take advantage of a bent butt they should use a harness. Withought a harness the rod tip would have to be raised an undesirable amount for the angler to reach the forward grip...this would negate the possitive effects of the bent butt. A forward grip on most bent butt rods is totaly useless in my opinion. Also keep in mind that the long chair unibutts are EXTREMELY heavy...but they were designed to be used in a chair so a 30# rod/reel combo isn't out of the ordinary.

Chair rods (bent butt or straight butt) are typical along the east coast while not very poplular along the west coast. They gain poplularity once again mid-Pacific when you come across the Hawaiian Island chain.

Jay

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.5.241.---)
Date: April 15, 2006 09:45AM

Standing up with a short bent butt.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Jay

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 15, 2006 02:21PM

Jay, Is that you in the Picture - I just saw it an hour ago, ...

Doesn't the bent butt bring the reel CLOSER to the angler's torso, so he does not have to lean forward so far, as he might on a straight-butt trolling or stand-up rod? ...

And a bent-butt lets you keep your elbows closer to a 90 degree angle, and let's you turn your reel crank from your elbow, rather than having to power the locomotive eccentric from your shoulder?

The rear handle section has to be a certain length somehow to keep a rod & reel in the rod holders of the boat's gunwale's, or the rocket launchers over or behind the helm.

It seems like the bent butt gives a long enough rear handle for the rod to ride securely in a typical rod holder, while bringing the reel-winch closer to your body, so fatigue is less on you and more (we hope) on the fish.

Is that the idea / deal? ... -Cliff Hall+++ Happy Easter

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 15, 2006 07:47PM

On my heavy straight butts I generally like to use 8" slick butt sleaves. This also puts the reel closer to the torso and the angler's center of gravity.

Yes that's me...don't hold that against the rod!

Jay

Posted by: Sudibyo C. Rammonhar (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 05:20PM

Greater length between the butt and reel seat provides more leverage for the fishermen. But there is IGFA regulation on a maximum length between the two so curved butt is way of getting extra length between them still staying by the rules.

Sudibyo C. Rammonhar
As-Salaam Alaikum

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 18, 2006 01:13PM

put simply it takes the strain off your back

allen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster