I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on wood handles
Posted by: Larry Salter (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 09:32AM

I'm finishing a dark handle and I can't seem to be able to keep the dust off while it drys. I am useing Tru-oil and the last coat has a little bit of dust particals in it, so what should I do to get this out? I have already put 5 coats on and steel wooled them down but for the life of me I can't seem to get this handle clear. I have Andy Dears buffing wheels and I have done other handles with out any problems, but this wood is so dark that it shows every little thing.Help please .

PS I have also used wet dry sand paper the problem is the finish is not as clear . When I do this,it seens to dull the color. Maybe I need to be more agressive with the buffer wheels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on wood handles
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 09:59AM

Don't know what your place looks like but I always spray water all around the rod I am going to clear to help keep the dust down.
You should try to get some kind of exhaust fan. And a large vacumn cleaner.

Re: Finish on wood handles
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 12:29PM

I take most of my hard burled handles and seats and really work them on the buffing wheel if using a compound. . Once the compound is worked into the grain well,,,I think a soft buffing wheel can be used pretty agressively to bring out that hard sheen. This process could be done with tru oil also if you work several apps in by hand and then take the dried handle and use the soft buffing wheel.

I usually do the entire process on a mandrel..shaping, sanding, cleaning, finish and buffing. If I apply any oil to a handle, cork or wood, I then place the mandrel in a vented wooden box about 1' x 2' x 6" . I took a piece of furnace filter and placed it over an opening about 5" round at one end of the box. There are slots cut in the box at the bottom of the sides to let air vent out. I have a small electric rv fan mounted outside the furnace filter and it blows the filtered air into the box and lets it vent out the slots. It's amazing how fast epoxy and finishes dry on a handle when placed in this thing...clean airflow is the key. It only took about an hour to make and an electric rv fan is under $10. I did this because I lathe alot of hard wood, cork, corian and lucite. The dust gets to be a problem so I came up with this little drying chamber idea and it works well. I was thinking about making one about 8' by 6" by 6" and installing a drying motor on one end and a small fan on the other with the vent slots at the bottom. Then I could do wrap and guide finishing with the same results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster