I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle made from Bowling Ball Blank
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 05:41PM

I noticed PSI had blanks of bowling ball material sized at 1" round and 7" long, perfect I thought for a handle. I tried their crimson pearl, bored it , cut it and shaped it to my liking, but its not polishing with 400 grit which is the finest I have at the moment. Anyone have experience with this stuff? If I get some 600 grit will that do, or do I need to get even finer grit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2006 05:44PM by Steven Libby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle made from Bowling Ball Blank
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2006 05:59PM

Hi Steve,

Sounds kind of interesting !!! What is bowling balls made of?? Let me rephrase that - What material is used to make bowling balls? Is it a plastic material something like Coran counter tops? How is it for weight?

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 06:06PM

Steve; You will need to wet sand up to at least 1000 or higher then use an Automotive polishing compound and then a polish like Finesset-It to get a nice shine. Go down to your bowling Alley Pro Shop and they can show you what you'll need. They might even give you a small sample to try.

Date: April 13, 2006 06:08PM

PSI describes it as a plastic, as follows [www.pennstateind.com]
I bored it out for a foam arbor to lighten it up, while still leaving room for shaping, and I think the result will be ok for me weight wise. I guess I'll go get some 600 grit and see if that cleans it up. Not recommending it, not even suggesting it, just trying to figure it out.

Bowling Ball Blanks
Turns like Butter - Guaranteed not to crack!
Made from bowling ball material, this plastic material is easier to drill and turn than wood. Won't crack, melt or split while drilling or turning and has no nasty smells. Turnings have a remarkably luxurious finish, and polish like glass. Ideal for work on a duplicator & great for turners who are "acrylic challenged".
Blanks are super sized at 1" round and 7" long. Patent Pending.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 06:08PM

I believe it's either a Polyurithane or Polyethilene. You may want to check at your nearest bowling center Pro Shop. They may carry a polishing agent.

Bill in WV

Date: April 13, 2006 06:10PM

Thanks Jim. Posted at the same time. That helps, I'll try it. Thanks again.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.193.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 06:10PM

Several Years ago, I had an opportunity to distribute this stuff for reelseat inserts. The bowling ball material samples I had were made from urethane. It was decent stuff, but at times could be a bit fickle while you were machining it. If it wasn't turned at just the right speed with a really sharp tool, it would chip out just a bit.. The shavings did however come off in long ribbons, and for the most part it polished pretty well. I decided against it though because in order to really machine it w/o a mishap, one needed a metal lathe with a compound slide. AND it was heavy, it may work well for a split grip type of setup, but a 9" rear grip of this stuff would be pretty unruly.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: April 13, 2006 09:19PM

What you need are Mineral Spirits and MicroMesh. Fold a paper towel to about 2x3 and soak it with MS. WIth the lathe running at it's lowest speed, hold the folded paper towel against the backside of the material and sand with all the MM grits, 1500 through 12000. Then either polish with a plastic polish or buff with white diamond.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 08:45AM

I have done several reel seats from the "Bowling Ball" material, in addition to butt caps foregrips, etc. I got my material from an outfit called "Pens of Color" They do have a web site. If you can't find it with a search, send me an email and I we sent it to you. They come in several colors. The major problem I have with them is that they are heavier than most other materials used in handles.

I generally go finer than 1000 grit to polish. Also a thin coat of Permagloss really makes them shine.

Contact me if you have any additional questions.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: April 14, 2006 03:53PM

Pens of Color is a PSI reseller, although generally Sheila's prices are less than buying direct from PSI and the service is better. White Diamond polish and a buffing wheel will give you a glossier and harder finish than Permagloss in less time and you don't have to worry about it leveling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster