I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe chucks
Posted by: Jim Ellis (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 06:44PM

I would like to buy a chuck for my wood lathe. Need help figuring out what top get. Do I need 4 or 3 jaw chuck?
Independant or self centering?
Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe chucks
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:31PM

If you're just turning cork grips and wooden reelseat inserts, I think a self centering 3 jaw chuck is easy and suitable for the task. If you have a metal turning lathe and plan to turn small engine cylinders and pistons requiring tight tolerances, then a 4 jaw chuck and a dial indicator would be appropriate - IMO.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:42PM

If you are turning wooden blocks a four jaw chuck is nice to have and with the proper jaws will be quite versatile.
I have both a four and a three but if limited to one it would be the four jaw chuck.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 09:32PM

Just make sure the jaws that you get will meet your needs. You want them to close down enough to grip any mandrel sizes that you use and open far enough to hold your stock for boring. I don't know of any chuck that will meet these needs with only one set of jaws. Like Stan, I bought a 3 jaw with my lathe and since have bought a 4 jaw. The 3 jaw is great for anything that I do on a mandrel and the 4 jaw is great for boring or holding the wood stock

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: jim Ellis (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 11:22PM

Where is the best place to buy a chuck??? I am looking at the Pennstate Utility Model for 79.95. 4 jaw self centering

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 12, 2006 06:40AM

I would buy a 4 jaw and a spare jacobs chuck(drill chuck) for turning on a mandrel. I think it would be a bit cheaper and the jacobs chuck is still self centering

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 12, 2006 08:16AM

Jim,

I recently got a small three jaw chuck from Grizzly. I have wished I had a four jaw at times when workin with blocks. What ever you do get a self centering one. I use a Jacobs with mantrels.

Ed Smith

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 12, 2006 08:58AM

I have a Delta midi-lathe and I use a 4 jaw chuck for wood and a separate chuck from Delta with different size collets for the different mandrels. I use a self centering drill chuck on my tail stock for drilling. I drill my wood using the 4 jaw and then switch to the collet chuck for my mandrel turning.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: April 12, 2006 09:43AM

If you're only going to buy one chuck, do not waste your money on a 3-jaw. The PSI Utility chuck is probably OK, but if you buy one, check your lathe carefully for runout before you get it and then check it again with the PSI chuck mounted. Whatever you do, do NOT buy the PSI 3-jaw micro chuck. It is an absolute piece of garbage.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 12, 2006 10:18AM

I totally disagree with the 4-jaw for general usage. If you're looking to turn grips on mandrels, bore cork, ream foam/cork, or do other simple tasks - the 3-jaw is the way to go. It's so much easier to use, and while it is not accurate to the .0001 - most rodbuilding tasks do not require that type of precision. It's so much easier to use teh 3-jaw, just open and close it.

If you are performing tasks which require precision, then I have no comment because I do not turn wood or metal & I'm not precise at all when it comes to building rods.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: April 12, 2006 10:37AM

I agree with the 4 jaw & a drill chuck for mandrels.....you cannot put square stock in a 3 jaw chuck. If you are going to ever use your lathe for other projects...pens bowls...whatever you may require the ability to grip a square or rectangle which is impossible with a 3 jaw.

I use a drill chuck with a morse taper to fit my lathe when using mandrels...quick self centering and economical.

A good 3 jaw may get well used in rod building but lacks versatility unless you can afford to have both a 3 & 4 jaw. The only advantage to the 3 jaw is speed to set up IMO....but w a drill chuck for mandrels that eliminates this problem.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2006 11:29AM

DUH!!!!! Never thought about using the JDrill chuck with my mandres!!!! In that case, I would recommend a 4 jaw and drill chuck. I'm very happy with my PSI 4 jaw Utility chuck. Gotta love this board!!

Billy, why is a 3 jaw any easier than a 4 jaw? A 4 jaw works exactly the same as a 3 jaw. Just turn it to close it. It's self centering

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 06:38AM

I wasn't aware they had a self centering 4-jaw (SC), all the ones I saw were the ones which each jaw needed to be closed individually. You have a link for a 4-jaw SC? I admit having a 4-jaw SC would be better than a 3-jaw, I just wasn't aware they had them, which is why Iposted what I did.

The Jacobs is fine for Mandrels, but the one I have only opens up to a 1/2" ID, and I have 2 Mandrels whic do not fit in it.

Date: April 13, 2006 08:49AM

Billy,
Here's a link to one 4 jaw scroll chuck that PSI sells.
[www.pennstateind.com]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 13, 2006 09:20AM

Oh well, disregard what I said the first time. What stinks is I've seen that chuck before, and ASSumed it was an individual jaw closing one. That one seems like it will do EVERYTHING and a whole lot more.

Thanks for the link, I apologize for the first post. I also just spent another $100 at PSI, lol.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 06:17PM

I bought a Nova Midi chuck at WoodCraft for less than $100, not much less but less. It's a four jaw that works great. It won't go small enough for mandrels, so I use a Jacobs drill chuck and the live center. Works perfect. BTW, I bought the spigot jaws.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 11:06PM

William,

if you look closely at the inner "closing faces" you'll find the Nova Midi Precision Chuck from Woodcraft actually closes down to fit close to a 1/4" mandrel. Adequate mandrel grip for many tasks - particularly for turning cork. Just ignore the outter closing jaws..

The Nova chucks seem better machined of better steel that the PSI chucks and the various levers seem up to the task. Just wish I'd bought it first while in learning phase. As it turned out, I ended up with several other chucks before I got the hang of it. I use a Jet Mini lathe.

Stan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2006 11:47PM by Stan Gregory.

Date: April 14, 2006 02:44PM

I have a Nova Midi Chuck and Stan is correct about it closing on a 1/4" mandrel. With the jaws off, the jaw slides will grip a 1/4" mandrel very tight. The slides also grip over a greater surface area than any of the jaws except maybe the pin jaws.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 10:34PM

I just sent Stan an email, but Nova has a couple different Midi chucks. I have the one where you use 2 steel rods to tighten and loosen it, not the flexible drill chuck key type. With the jaws off, I could only get it to go down to a little less than 5/8 in.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Joe Hepp (---.229.186.46.res-cmts.nbh.ptd.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 07:44PM

Here are a couple shots of my Nova Midi 4-jaw chuck, which also tightens with a pair of steel rods. With the jaws off, the slides will hold a 1/4" mandrel. With the 50mm jaws that came with the chuck, it will hold a single cork ring for boring. Click on the thumbnails for a closer look at the Nova midi chuck in action.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster