I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Buying Blanks
Posted by: Thom Cherry (---.sevencounties.org)
Date: April 10, 2006 12:40PM

Is there anyone who knows where I could find a supplier for factory seconds blanks.

I am a new rod maker and would like some inexpensive blanks to experiment on. Paying full price when you are ironing out your mistakes might be too expensive.

Any suppliers you know of would be appreciated.

Thanks
Thom Cherry
Louisville, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying Blanks
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 10, 2006 01:23PM

Even better - and a supporter of this FREE board, is Neal's Fishing Tackle, listed on the suppliers at left. Neal is a great guy and very accomodating. Highly recommended!!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 01:44PM

What kind of mistakes could you possibly make on a blank?

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 10, 2006 02:18PM

Another option to using blemished blanks is to rebuild or restore some older rods, either ones you already own or rods you pick up at a garage sale. Fix them up, gain some experience, give them to the neighborhood kids, and then build on some nice blanks when you feel you're ready. I use expensive blanks and make mistakes all the time. It doesn't make the rods more expensive, it just makes them less perfect, LOL. Forecast first quality blanks by Batson sell at prices that will allow you to build a bunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2006 02:28PM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 02:28PM

Thom,

I agree with Steve..the batson forecast blanks aren't much more than what you would pay for seconds in other brands, and they are first quality. They are a really good value for the money.

The last thing I would want to do would spend my time and money on components on a blank that I wasn't sure was first quality. And no warrantee if it does break. Mud Hole has some unsanded blanks that are cheap but I do not know what the quality is on these.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 03:19PM

I am a tournament bass fisherman, so when I started I had already had about a dozen or so rods that I used regularly. Before long they were all re-wrapped...spiral wrapped...split gripped....balanced...you name it..all BEFORE I ever considered doing anything for a paying customer. I even tore apart and spiral wrapped and split gripped a $230.00 Kistler LTA that didn't have a danged thing wrong with it...LOL...They make great practice rods and in the end turn out to be great displays too...Most of my business comes from guys who see my rods in a boat...Try re-doing your own rods if you have any, before buying blanks...Oh yeah...on the subject of buying blanks...the first two or three I bought were for me as well ... LOL

Steve Buchanan
Steve's Custom Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2006 03:21PM by Steve Buchanan.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:33PM

Check out the Mud Hole sanded and un-sanded specials.

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 11:47AM

Billy,

If you get any drier you will go brittle.LOL You are a hard man but darned funny to boot. Thom is being very sensible something you and I BIlly are not very capable of.

I think it is a good idea to build on a few seconds or lower priced blanks to kick off with. I could list loads of likely things a Newbie could do to damage the blank, especially if he/she gets into flame throwers for de-bubbling the wraps, or maybe overcrank the tension on the thread.

Thom you should not have any problems finding low cost blanks from the sponsors. If you have done some homework it will only take one or two rods before your std and knowledge build in a very short learning curve. Rod building is a simple craft unless you get determined to make it difficult.

Take your time think twice cut once.

Welcome

Mike Oliver

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:27PM

Another solution is to go to WalMart or another local discount retailer and buy a few $10-15 rods to experiment with. This won't give you a nice finished rod when you're done but it's nearby and cheap, plus you can learn about removing guides and grips too.

Use a candle to heat the epoxy around the guide thread wraps and scrap it off with a straight edge razor. Heat up the tip, then twist it off. Place the rod handle in a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes and try to twist it off after the glue has softened. Cut off the reel seat with a hobby saw. Try painting a rod section. Wrap various guides and different color threads, use color preserver on some to see the color shifts, etc.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 09:10AM

We've got some Value Line blanks (By CUI). Made in the US, Most sizes under $20.

Call or e-mail us. 866-285-0673 Toll Free for pricing.

[www.ackfishing.com]

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle
866-285-0673

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster