I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Volumn 9 Issue 1 A Better Apoxy Finish
Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 04:10PM

I tried the application of the apoxy as you instructed. It came out just as you said it would. I am just jazzed. flat - flat - flat. I rotated the 180deg's. guides up then guides down, removing what felt good by wicking with a Macdonalds stirrer. This method really give you a good feeling about what is the right amount of apoxy. Its very easy to watch the apoxy level and also to know when its time to rotate. I had a lot of trouble keeping my hands off constantly taking too much time fiddling with the finish using previous methods. This approach just stops that bad habit all togeather. I sat with it for about 1hr 45min then went to the motor (6rpms) its been 4 1/2 hours now and it looks as good as it did when I started rotation. Im sure the 1 1/2 hours was well spent.
Good stuff Tom. I feel my confidence in apply apoxy up about 200%.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Volumn 9 Issue 1 A Better Apoxy Finish
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 04:25PM

So I guess you got your yearly subscription price worth in that one article? Maybe more? I know exactly how you feel. I've been building a long time now but have had several troublesome areas addressed and fixed through the pages of the magazine.

One thing you can always count on is that the information presented in Rodmaker is accurate and trustworthy. Anybody can build a better rod with the information found in the magazine. It's all good stuff and as good as this message board is, the magazine puts it to shame.

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 04:36PM

Ironically my wife had ordered my subscription for my birthday without my knowing and I had no idea yesterday at the same moment in time asI wrapped the last guide she came from the mailbox with my first issue and it happened to be the one with Toms article. Getting old sure is good.
I cant think of a message board anywhere that is so well done as this one and RMM is elegantly done. (I had ordered a back order some time ago so I had seen it) I understand why everyone waits with such eager anticipation.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 08:11PM

It should be consider a classic among all the rod building articles ever written by anyone. I wonder how many tens of thousands of rod builders would find all their finishing problems solved just by reading that one article.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 01:58AM

Not to discredit any of your statements, which are absolutely true. I got the same suggestion from reading the past posts here on the forum, have been using it since I read it and it works awesomely every time. The only difference between here and RMM is that the articles go into way more detail than can be shared in the forum venue. Thanks Tom for this forum and for keeping past posts available at all times and not archiving.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2006 08:30AM

It's just very hard to do in message board posts what you can do in an article with full text and photos.

On the point of the article, getting a very nice epoxy finish is terribly easy to do. So easy in fact, that I've always thought that many miss the ease with which it can be done. Two epoxy finish manufacturers personally thanked me for writing the article. They said it addressed about 99% of the questions they get from consumers every day. I hope it's helpful to many thousands of rod builders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster