I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo burl cork grips
Posted by: Joe Baylog (---.c3-0.eas-ubr5.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcn)
Date: April 08, 2006 05:21PM

Has anybody had any experiance with this product. I have no experiance with it but have a customer that thinks they might want to try it. Could you guys give me some pro's and con's. I hear it looks pretty cool :-) is it harder than cork? tougher?
thanks
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo burl cork grips
Posted by: Steven Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 06:10PM

Joe, I have used it on a couple of rods. It is nice looking. I find it to be definitely a little heavier than cork and probably a little weaker than cork. I have not used the rods very much yet, so I don't have a strong opinion on how it holds up. My suspicion is that it will hold up just fine under normal use. It looks very nice with a couple coats of True Oil.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 06:19PM

Had one in my hand at the NW rodbuilding show at the Lamiglas factory yesterday. They are firmer I believe, and a little heavier.
The small hand full wells was a nice looking, comfortable grip for me. The Worried Shrimp has used them on his fly rods, some info and great pictures at www.theworriedshrimp//theworriedshrimp.html.

Posted by: Joe Baylog (---.c3-0.eas-ubr5.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcn)
Date: April 08, 2006 07:48PM

I checked out the worried shrimp wow!! nice site! and the burl looked good too. :-)
I think I'll give it a shot. I also liked the way the tru oil made them look, really seemed to pull out the contrasts. I only ever sealed a cork grip once and proceded to sand it off the next day. Hated the glossy (slippery) feel. Can I assume that if I don't use many coats of the oil it won't get too glossy?
Thanks for the help!
Joe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 08:30PM

Haven't Tru oiled the bamboo burl, but regular burl and Andy's Exotic burl takes one coat pretty well, Andy's stuff starts getting slick and shiny at two coats, the regular Angler's workshop burl a little less so. The exotic burl I think is more dense hence being slicker. Cork sheds most materials thats why was used in life rafts, wine corks, and it doesn't take dyes well.

Posted by: danny ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 09:45PM

i just used them on a custom small stream float rod i built, i used 2 full wells for grips, i turned the down a bit, anyways, i coated them with a coat of cork seal and they do look nice, the only problen is that i believe(im no expert)they are more fragile than cork, as i recieved one cracked from shipping. But i would definatly use them again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 10:53AM

Nice looking stuff. I would like them better if they were in rings so they could be made a little thicker.
Think I am going to stay with Andies exotic burl. Like that.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 05:03PM

I received one cracked in shipping or before also. Tried reshaping two of them also. The inside wasn't too pretty. Filling them didn't look right so I just trashed them.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster