I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crooked bamboo
Posted by: John Earls (---.dsl1.blu.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 06:13PM

I have a couple of old bamboo rods I want to fix up a bit. The top 1/3 has a bow in it. Anyone know of a way to straighten them? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crooked bamboo
Posted by: Brian Timmons (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 07:13PM

It's not as difficult to fix a set as you might think. You can place it flat with a little bit of weight to make it bow in the opposite direction. Don't use to much weight. This takes a couple of weeks. A better method is to heat it and bend it back straight. I use a toaster for a heat source. Be sure to do this bare handed. If the cane gets to hot to touch you got it way to hot. When the cane gets hot it becomes pliable. I've always done this with the varnish stripped off. I do not know what would happen with the varnish on the rod. Before trying this, you can do some research on the classic fly rod forum. Good luck with it.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.204.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:43PM

Straightening a bamboo rod without heat won't keep it straight, the bow will come back after a few casts. The only way to get the "set" ,as it's called, out is with heat. This is best done with the varnish stripped off, but it can be done with the varnish on if it's not ancient and in good condition. I recomend a good heat gun with adjustable settings, start on low and hold the rod over the nozzle, but keep it moving, twirl it and move it back and forth so the heat isn't concentrated on one small spot. Bend it in the opposite direction off of the heat for a minute or two so it can cool that way then site it for straightness again. It will take very little heat near the tip, ore as you get to the thicker areas. Good luck
john

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.6.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 04:16AM

Using a tea kettle on top the stove will do the trick VERY QUICKLY. Using the stream of steam for your heat source will be fine. Flexing the rod in the opposite direction of the current set and passing it back and forth thru the steam will straighten it out, then let it cool on a flat surface. You want to start the process at the ferrule and work to the tip, as sets have a tendency to "travel" so you want it to go to the end of the section. After it is straight and cool you should be fine, but,,, and there is always a but !! Sets are strange things, often prone to return.. lot of times a fishing set occurs, and you can straighten it out and after a few fish caught, it's back... I think it is just the nature of the cane. But the steam is your bet choice in my opinion. You should not have a problem with varnish either, I do it all the time. Of course, if your going to strip it and redo it, I would straighten it when it was bare bamboo.

Hope this helps ~ ~

Posted by: John Earls (---.dsl1.blu.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 09:57AM

Thanks everyone. One rod needs re-varnished so I will strip it first. Thanks again for all your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster