I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for 50lb standup rod
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 02:33PM

Have been asked to buil a set of 50lb stand up rods Spiral wrapped. What guides would you guys recommend? He will be using 60lb mono. as the line. Will be using a Calstar GF7455H blank. Would a smooth butt be ok on a standup rod? Thanks for your help. Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for 50lb standup rod
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 02:44PM

I've built many such spiral wrapped rods although the longer 765 series using the FUGI Sic LRSG turbo guides. I use the #20 guide on the 765l and #25 guide on heavier rods for line clearance. In S Calif we don't use smooth butts cause they are too slippery.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 05:24PM

The LR series of Fuji guides will work well. The 20 butt guide should be adequate...again in this instance I wonder about the LB guides for the 180s.

What type of fishing does this guy do...west coast long range or east coast style trolling? If long range (which I doubt because he wants a 'set' of rods), then like Jim said, stick with EVA or Hypalon for the rear grips. This is because the mates on those boats typically have to maneauver rods around anglers and other objects. The rear grip is essential to them as most times this is all they are holding on to. For trolling situations on private boats I'd opt for slick butts. My rods only use slick butts (NC trolling applications) for ease of use in rod holders not to mention they just plain look better (to me).

Jay

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 06:14PM

I am building two 50 pound outfits now with HBSG's for fishing live bait. Also have another in progress with HNSG's for jigging. IMO, it really depends on what the rod will be used for and in what situations.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:26PM

Hey guys, he said a standup rod not a trolling rod.

Scott, I resonded to your email, got your auto spam blocker message, filled it out as requested, and got another auto message and deleted it. Let me know if you didn't get my reply. Tuff to get through to you

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: April 08, 2006 07:35AM

Sorry Mr. Jim. I personally only troll stand-up rods from 4'8" to 6'. The only time I troll the big long chair rods is when I ride along with friends that run charter boats. In this instance my points are valid as I am indeed talking about true stand-up rods.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster