I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom - I am confused
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 07:16AM

On the topic of Alchol wipes, you posted never to use them after scouring the surface..lest you loose the water break free, etc..

[www.rodbuilding.org]

But..in your book you wrote to wipe the surface with alcohol after scouring (pages 19 and 24, I believe).

This was for installing the grip and the reel seat.

Maybe I am understanding this wrong?

thanks

Ernie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom - I am confused
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 07:22AM

as i understand it dont use a STRONG denatured alchohol or "soak" the scoured blank but yes it does need to be cleaned for the glue to grip i use those handwipes ( but i wouldnt on carbon or graphite)

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 07:42AM

Ernie,
The topic you mention was talking about thread finish between coats, not bare blank prep for grips. Two different things.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2006 08:22AM

Never use an alcohol or solvent wipe as the last step before applying finish or adhesive.

The sidebar on water-break-free surface prep was left out of the book (I wrote it, but Amato did the layout, editing and publishing - it is their book) and I really wish it hadn't been. However, the subject of surface prep has been covered in several RodMaker articles, one of them is in the online library page here.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 03:12PM

Ok thanks,

I read those articles in the magazine, but have been using the book as a guideline.

So if I used the procedure outlined in the book, which calls for cleaning, what are the chances of the bond breaking down in the near term? I assume it is fairly low?

thanks

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2006 05:08PM

You do want to clean the surface, but do it that first, before you abrade or sour the surface to degloss it.

It you do the procedure the other way around, in most cases you'd probably still be okay - we really don't put much stress on our fishing rods. Not like that of other very demanding applications. There is a right way for doing this, but I don't want it to sound like if you clean the surface last, that you'll necessarily have a catestrophic failure. You probably won't. But if you're going to be doing this anyway, might as well do it right.

Posted by: David Smith (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 08:50AM

Ernie;
Everything said covers your question well. FWIW though the biggest reason for cleaning BEFORE abrading
is that .... for the most part contaminants that really affect the bond are not solids. Oils, waxes and silicones really
keep the epoxy away from the component surface. If you start sanding / scotch brighting before the component is clean
all you are doing is moving those contaminants to the newly exposed surface. The contaminants will cling to the abrasive
and migrate right back onto the component. By cleaning FIRST you hopefully remove most or all of the contaminant and the
microscopic roughening of the blank will now allow the adhesive / glue to actually get on the component.
The alcohol wipe down can actually contaminate the surface to be bonded. Even medicinal grade alcohol contains 12 to 15
percent of somthing that could be a contaminant to an adhesive joint.
Just a little reasoning behind the sequencing
David A.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster