I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrap finish
Posted by: Tom Decastro (---.es.adp.com)
Date: April 06, 2006 12:42PM

Can anyone recommend an easy one part (no mix) solution, to use for thread wraps, on simple repair jobs? ie. For replacing a single guide or tip top?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrap finish
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 12:47PM

Permagloss. You will need several coats but it dries fast and in a day you can put many coats on to get the look you want.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 05:12PM

Be sure the area you apply has a fair amount of humidity. The only problems I've ever had with Permagloss has been in the winter in dry conditions. Under normal humidity I don't usually have any problems.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.58.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 08:10PM

I like it more in the winter. The cold seems to help it Not set as fast. Gives more working time. Now I take it out of the fridge and use it right away just because it sets just a little slower.
If your house has all the windows closed the air in it will be dry, just open a window for some of that most winter air. Helps ya breath better, at least I do.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 08:39PM

The problem I had was applying too many coats too fast. I think with the dryer air it didn't set as fast. After 'ample' time had passed I applied subsequent coats as I usually would, but the 'vapors' were still rising from the previous coat. This caused MANY tiny bubbles in the upper finish. The top coat was setting while the underlying coat was sending vapor its way. Only time it happened though. I'm a bit more careful now.

Jay

Posted by: Tom DeCastro (---.es.adp.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 03:13PM

Thanks all. Appreciate your input.

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 05:20PM

Is permagloss really aromatic? Like will the smell permeate my house from coating thread wraps on a fly rod and cause my wife who is a superfund site manager with the EPA to become concerned for her safety?
BjR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster