I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

casting salmon rod blank recommendation
Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.du.pinetel.com)
Date: April 05, 2006 02:29PM

I'm going to build a casting salmon rod for a friend who doesn't know too much about it. I tried to ask questions that would help me determine his needs. What I do know is that he will be fishing from the bank and a boat here in the northwest and will be using a Garcia reel, probably a 5600 model. The salmod will be "silver" and "kings. I thought maybe a 9 ft rod rated for up to 20 lb. line with a spiral wrap. What do you guys think. I'm open for suggestions or recommendations on specific blanks and models. Thank you for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: casting salmon rod blank recommendation
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 02:42PM

Hi Lon,

I live in Sacramento and do a lot of king salmon fishing from the bank of the rivers here
and I highly recommend a Forecast HS1025 or HS1021 for a spinning or casting rod.
I use an abu or shimano or diawa palm type casting reel to throw 7/8oz spinners to the
kings and the 8 1/2 ft length really does the trick. I'm not sure of the rating for the 1021
but the 1025 is rated to 20lb line and has a fast action and strong butt section. Can also
be used for back bouncing or jigging in a boat.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 02:52PM

Do you or your friend live in Washington State? Will he becast plugs, egg roe or while in a boat will he be back bouncing or trolling? Also what rivers does he fish. If you live in the NW this would be a excellant time to come to Woodland Washington and meet the greatest custom rod builders from all over the USA . They will be meeting at the Lamiglas rod plant this is a 3 day event. April 7, 8 & 9. Call or email Todd Vivian at Lamiglas for more info.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 05, 2006 03:16PM

Lon,
I build a lot of rods for casting for Salmon and I think that you are in the ball park with a 9' rod rated for 20# line but I think that we need a little more information in order to offer a decent recommendation.
How much weight will he be casting? This will have as much effect on how much power the blank should have as the line that he will be using.
What will he be casting, a lure or bait or? Some require quite a bit of feel or sensitivity in which case you might want to think in terms of a higher modulus blank.
How far will he normally be casting? If he will be casting very far you will probably want to think in terms of a little longer rod. Also normally casting from the bank requires a little longer rod than if casting from a boat.
Would he prefer a one or two piece rod? The one piece will make a better rod but can be a pain to transport.
Is he careful and take good care of his tackle? If not then a high modulus rod is probably not a real good idea.
Also if he is a beginner I would not build him a rod from a very fast action blank like a Hot Shot blank. They are too easy to high stick and break.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 03:17PM

Here is a list I compiled for a seminar I did a few years back if you ever wanted learn a new language then the West Coast has one see below Terms and Definition page. There are several more that I have not listed here but gives you a good idea what we use on the West Coast should help. Best Regards, Karry Batson

TECHNIQUE
ROD ACTION
MODEL NO.
LINE
LURE WT.
LEN
SEC

DREDGER, FLATFISH, KWIKFISH
MOD-FAST
ISA1026F
12-25LB
3/4 - 1 1/2 OZ
8.6'

DREDGER, MOOCHER
MOD-FAST
ISA1086-2
12-25LB
3/4 - 1 1/2 OZ
9.0'

KING MOOCHER, BAR PLUNKER
MOD-FAST
ISA1266F
12-25LB
3/4 - 1 1/2 OZ
10.6'

HEAVY FLOAT, MOOCHER
MOD-FAST
ISA1355F
10-20LB
3/8 - 1 1/2 OZ
11.3'

PLUNKER
MOD-FAST
ISA1446F
12-25LB
3/4 - 1 1/2 OZ
12.0'

SLINKY DRIFTER, GLOW BUG
FAST
IST993F
6-10LB
1/4 - 1/2 OZ
8.3'

BOONDOGGER, LIGHT SIDE DRIFTER
MOD-FAST
IST1024F
8-12LB
3/8 - 3/4 OZ
8.6'

HEAVY DREDGER/BOONDOGGER
MOD-FAST
IST1025F
10-17LB
3/8 - 1 OZ
8.6'

MED BOONDOGGER, LIGHT SIDE DRIFTER
MOD-FAST
IST1081F
4-8LB
3/16 - 3/8 OZ
8.6'

MED BOONDOGGER, SIDE DRIFTER
MOD-FAST
IST1084F
8-12LB
3/8 - 3/4 OZ
9.0'

MED/LIGHT FLOAT ROD
MODERATE
SH1141-2
4-8LB
3/16 - 3/8 OZ
9.6'

MED/LIGHT FLOAT ROD (PEG FLOAT)
MOD-FAST
IST1143F
8-12LB
3/8 - 3/4 OZ
9.6'

LIGHT FLOAT ROD, FLOAT & FLY
MOD-FAST
IST1201F
4-8LB
3/16 - 3/8 OZ
10.0'

MED/LIGHT SLIDE FLOAT ROD
MOD-FAST
IST1263F
8-12LB
3/8 - 3/4 OZ
10.6'

MED/HEAVY SLIDE FLOAT ROD
MOD-FAST
IST1264F
10-17LB
3/8 - 1 OZ
10.6'

MED/HEAVY MOOCHER
MOD-FAST
IST1265F
10-20LB
3/8 - 1 1 /4 OZ
10.6'

NOODLE ROD
SLOW
IST1382F
4-8LB
1/16 - 1/4 OZ
11.6'

MED FLOAT ROD
MOD-FAST
IST1384F
4-10LB
3/16 - 3/8 OZ
11.6'

LIGHT FLOAT ROAD
MOD-FAST
IST1562F
6-10LB
1/4 - 1/2 OZ
13.0'

WIGGLE WART PLUGGER/SIDE DRIFTER
EXTRA-FAST
HS1021F
10-20LB
3/8 - 3 OZ
8.6'

HEAVY DREDGER/BOONDOGGER
EXTRA-FAST
HS1025F
15-30LB
1 - 5 OZ
8.6'

HOT SHOT

TERM
DEFINITION

BAIT DIVER
A diving device that uses the river's current to dive the bait to the bottom. A large crank bait can be used.

BOON DOG
Cast directly upstream from a boat. Use the least amount of weight possible, keeping your line above the boat, and tight at all times as the boat drifts downstream.

FLAT FISH
A crescent shaped plug that dives up to 20 ft. It is used for larger species of salmon. Worden's makes it.

DEEP SIX
A diving device that is trolled to bring the bait to the desired depth.

DOWN RIGGER
A lead ball that weighs 10 lbs. or more and is attached to a cable. The fishing line is attached to a clip and the down rigger is lowered to the desired depth.

DREDGER
Fish in deep swift river current, using 1-2 oz. lead.

GLOW BUG
A single imitation salmon egg made from yarn.

HOT SHOT
A small crank bait that will dive up to 8 feet. Lure Jensen makes it.

JIG
A lure that is usually tied with marabou feathers. It is available in 1/2 - 3/4 oz. round lead heads. It can be fished with or without a peg float.

KWIKFISH
A crescent shaped plug that will dive up to 20 feet. It is used for larger species of salmon. Lure Jensen makes it.

MAG WART
This plug dives deep up to 20 feet for stained water or deeper rivers and it is also used as a bait diver.

MOOCHER
Drift or slow troll. Use 5-7 foot leaders and 1-6 oz. of lead. Fish with herring or anchovies, cut plug or straight.

NOODLE ROD
A rod that has soft action and is light in power. Use very light line. The rods' softness prevents even large fish from being able to break light line.

PEG FLOAT (BOBBER)
Used as a strike indicator. The float stays in a fixed position.

PLUGGING
It is also known as back trolling. Fish with plugs (crank baits) and let them out behind the boat up to 100 feet. Use the current to bring the lures to the bottom.

PLUNKER
Fish from the bank. Use enough weight to sink to the bottom and not drift. Usually you should fish with bait like eggs, shrimp, and spin glows.

SIDE DRIFT
Casting is usually done from a boat. Use the least amount of weight possible, drift with your line at 45-degree angle from the side of the boat.

SLINKY
Lead balls put into hollow nylon chord. It is used as weight for drifting.

SLIP FLOAT (BOBBER)
Used as a strike indicator. The float slides to the float stop.

SPINNER
A lure that is usually 2-5 blade size, that weighs up to 3/4 oz. It is reeled in at the necessary speed to make the blades spin.

SPOON
A lure fished in all water conditions. It is shaped like a spoon.

TAD PULLEY
A crank bait that will dive up to 12 feet.

WIGGLE WART
A small crank bait that will dive up to 12 feet.

Karry Batson

Batson Enterprises Inc.

Ph: (877) 875-2382

Fax: (360) 683-3579

karry@batsonenterprises.com

www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 03:25PM

Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast Rod Blanks & Rod Building Components has many different blanks that fit that discription. We are located in Sequim , WA and we are very familiar to this technique of fishing. Here are a few blanks I would recommend, these are all models I fish with.
Rainshadow ( RX7) = ISA1086-M or OG ( M= Matte Clear, OG = Olive green ( Gloss) = 9' 2pc, 12-25 lb test, 3/4 - 1 1/2 oz lure wt, Mod/Fast action..MSRP = $78.95
Rainshadow (RX7) = ISA1026F-M or OG = 8'6" 2pc w/ same specs as above..MSRP = $73.68
Rainshadow (RX7) = HS1025F-M = 8'6" 2pc, 15-30 lb test, Xtra Fast Action ( Be carefull not to High stick) .MSRP = $89.47
Forecast (RX6) = SH1026-2CG = 8'6" 2pc, 12-25 lb testMod/Fast action MSRP = $47.31.
These are all models I use when fishing the technique you specified.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Thank you
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2006 08:52AM

Karry Batson,

Thank's for such an informative post. I am a UK based Fisher and have wonderd for a long time what the heck was meant by Mooching ( very different meaning over here) Noodle rods etc At least I have a clue now.

Thanks

Mike O.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 06, 2006 09:39AM

Mike,
Don't be thanking Karry Batson. He chaps my back side and I just give him a hard time. I have fished Steelhead all of my life and Karry is the only man I have known that has caught a 30# Steelhead. In fact, both a 28# and a #30# Steelhead. Both of which are quite a few pounds bigger than any I have ever caught.
I would not even believe it if I had not seen the pictures. Actually, come to think of it maybe he had the pictures altered.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 04:00PM

Hi Mike,
Yes we come up with some crazy terms for the way we fish here. Emory see ya this weekend hope to fish on Sunday if they dont close it.

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 01:04PM

Check out Angler's Workshop! The have had some incredible deals on some sale Lamiglas blanks recently. Can't go wrong with the Rainshadows either! I would go with something between 8 and 9 feet in the 8-17, 10-20, or 12-25 line ratings depending on tackle weight, and/or river size.

Ray
Juneau, AK

Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 07:15PM

To make the best selection for salmon fishing it really comes down to where you fish and what salmon you fish for. The rods used on the north Oregon coast are often different than what is used in in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Knowing where your friend fishes and how will help you determine what would work the best. An example would be a tidewater bobber rod used on the Oregon coast for fall Chinook would not be a good choice for casting spinners for silvers.

Salmon rods typically are technique and species specific.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster