I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The CCS Marches On
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2006 09:55PM

Almost a shame that the Europeans are moving forward faster than the U.S. fly industry on so many fronts, but it's nice to at least see someone moving ahead.

[www.sexyloops.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The CCS Marches On
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 04, 2006 10:20PM

Interesting that the europeans would pick up on it before the country where it originated did!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 03:09AM

At least it is catching on somewhere. Consider this a tiny foothold toward conquering the mountain of resistance by the big manufacturers. It'll take time before enough fishermen learn the benefits of the CC System to reach "critical mass" where they will start requesting this data from the major rod companies. I believe it's a question of "when" and not "if " it will ever catch on. Comprehensive exposure on TV would provide the fast track to acceptance. Teaching the system's basics to a mass audience is the only way to create enough demand to force the big companies to adopt the system. A concerted effort on the internet might be another way to stir interest. If every fishing forum on the web had this information available it might just do the trick.
Otherwise this will be a long road.
Dave

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 05, 2006 05:53AM

Now come on Guys. Us Brits are famous for developing new technoogies and letting other countries develop them. Take the Hover craft for example and the Hydro Foil.. Ok this is the Finns but I think it's great we are learning to pinch others ideas at last and use then without shame.LOL Thanks for the system Guys you are very kind.

Tighter than normal lines

Mike O.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.41.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 09:13AM

I agree with Mike,
The Europeans are much more open to radical change...at least in fishing. Single Foot Ceramics and nylon reelseats on flyrods have been the norm over there for a long long time. In the states they are still quite rare in the grand scheme of things.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.nas83.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 06:57PM

There's actually quite a few posts on sexyloops about the CCS, seems they get pretty long and at times. I admire Bill's tenacity and dedication, but to say that anything is really moving along and acceptance is better abroad may be quite a stretch.

Not trying to prod you, Mr Kirkmen, but you might read some of these threads over at 'loops...sometimes it seems you jump to conclusions before actually taking in the 129,487 pages of discourse on the subject when brought up in other forums. For whatever reason (and there's quite a few)there appears to be many folks who DON"T like the system or have issues with it. We'll see where this thread goes at sexyloops, it's likely to be a long one.

For the record, I'm in your camp on this issue. I like a better way of describing rods and wish more folks were receptive to it. Unfortunately, I'm not all that confident that the system will catch on any better in Europe than it does in the USA. Either way, keep on keepin' on Bill, it's a good thing!

Date: April 05, 2006 10:59PM

Joseph,

I've not only read those discussions, I've participated in many of them! You might want to do a search for my own comments and suggestions there on the Sexy Loops site concerning the CCS.

I've had some good conversations in public there, but am well aware that some do not like it. Of course in many such cases, they really don't grasp the concept very well, unfortunately, or they would be equally opposed to using a system of relative measurement for discussing the length of their rods as well.

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.nas83.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 04:36AM

Tom, it may well be that I dwell more on the naysayers words than those who are pro CCS, hence my wondering if you've read all that was there. I know you participate at sexyloops, I follow those threads with some interest and hope. Perhaps you're seeing things as they really are and it's not all that unpopular, but rather a few individuals with a strong voice and a rather overt opposition.

I have to admit though, be it Sexyloops, Outdoorsbest, FAOL, and probably a few others, the CCS just doesn't get the reception one would expect. Then again, traditional snakes are popular amongst the FF crowd as well. Almost makes me wonder if the CCS is better promoted more amonst spinning and b-casting and then (and maybe only then) the world of flyrods will be dragged into it kicking and screaming.

I spend about 50% of my water time with a flyrod in hand and love flyfishing, but sometimes the culture around the longrod irks me to a degree. I honestly think that there is a good number of folks who will resent something just to have a contrary opinion in the matter, although there is some financial motive to opposition in this case.

It'll be interesting to see if the Euro-companies pick this one up and run with it.

Date: April 06, 2006 09:06AM

No, it doesn't exactly get accolades from all who speak on it, but the one thing I often notice is that those who are most often opposed to it haven't actually read the articles nor do they really understand the purpose of it. I've asked many of them if they would prefer the terms "long, medium and short" to describe rod length intead of using feet and inches, and none would seem to prefer that. So their opposition to the CCS is not really consistent with their other beliefs about systems of measurements and which they prefer.

One fellow at FAOL argued with myself and Dr. Hanneman to no end over why it wouldn't work. I asked him in a private email if he had actaully read the articles and he said, "No I haven't read any of the articles but I know it can't work." At that point any further argument is a moot point because the fellow on the other end doesn't have any grasp of what he's arguing against.

You bring up a very, very good point - that many fly fishermen have gone down a path where they see everything in the sport as having some sort of mystical origin that does not allow any sort of understanding. Almost as if their love for the sport will be crushed in the same way that their love for Christmas was damaged when they found out that there was no Santa Claus.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 06, 2006 09:42AM

Regarding Tom's last paragraph, Amen to that. Although, Tom, as many times as you have reminded me that kids read this site, I think it's just careless and cruel for you to have brought up Santa Claus, LOL.

As far as the topic of the thread, I predict it will "March On" anywhere people have open minds and actually use it to their benefit. An electric can-opener will never catch on with me because it does not meet a need that I have (when I'm old and have arthritis, I might buy one), but CCS caught on with me immediately because it eliminated lots of uncertainty, irritation, and frustration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2006 10:04AM by Steve Kartalia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster