I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tiger Wrap
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.152.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 01:50PM

So now we are all " competitors " ?? So none of us should give up any of the things we learn from playing around and figuring better ways of doing things then what the factories tell ya ??

Interesting

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 05, 2006 03:19PM

He's not talking about a better way of doing things or how to improve your rodbuilding skills. He's talking about a very unique method of wrapping to get a particular effect which is associated with him. You wouldn't expect a weaver to give away his designs for free when he is in the business of selling them would you?

I think that we should realize that although many great ideas are exchanged here and in Rodmaker, it's not a "right" that everybody should just give us things for free

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 05, 2006 03:33PM

Not for nothing, Scott doesn't owe anyone an explanation of how he did anything. More than likely the reason people do not tell anyone how they do things, especially secret things like this - is people aren't innovative enough, nor will they spend the time to figure anything out. It's always hands out.

What does Scott have to gain by telling everyone how he did it? He'll be an internet superstar for 2 days, a year from now his special technique will be butchered and copied by everyone, and seeing it won't be that big of a deal. At least if he's doing an article for this, he'll get industry-wide recognition and mroe people will know who orginated this technique.

Looking at the link I posted where I apologized for guessing his technique and was "warm" - did anyone complaining he won't tell the secret bother to read what I thought it was, and try to figure out how it's done? Of course not, it's easier to type on the internet that he should tell us, than to figure it out for yourself.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 05:51PM

Bill,
Blue tigers like blue oxen are remembered from the story of Paul Bunyan and "the winter of the blue snow".

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: April 05, 2006 05:55PM

Bill,
Blue tigers like blue oxen are remembered from the story of Paul Bunyan and "the winter of the blue snow".

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 06:16PM

Just as long as it ain't yellow snow ?? LOL

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 09:04PM

LOL! Wow, this thread sure took a weird turn!
Ok, a little history on how the Tiger Wrap and its name evolved. The first versions I did many years ago had a more structured repetitive well defined striped pattern. The jagged stripes looked like zebra stripes or tiger stripes. Once I started messing around with the "3D" version of it, it took on more of a pronounced "tiger eye" effect, similar to some of the tiger eye blanks youve seen. I just started calling it Throops' Tiger Eye Wrap....and over time customers just started calling "Tiger Wrap"....easier to say. Over time, the more of them I did, Ive learned how to manipulate the thread while wrapping to produce more of a softer swirl effect with well defined spots and rings....more of a leapord like pattern. The wrap can be done with any standard solid color rodbuilding thread...the same thread used on the guides so the color of the butt wrap matches perfectly and compliments the guides.
For many years I did this wrap on custom rods until I started my production rod company and decided to make it standard issue in the line of identically wrapped production rods we produced. This was a great alternative to doing diamond wraps(which seems EVERYONE was doing) Of course I couldnt single handedly wrap every rod, so I hired help. For a long time I personally did the Tiger Wraps and handed the rods down the line to be wrapped and finished. As business grew with other products and more custom work and outwrapping jobs, the time came to train someone to do the Tiger Wrap.
Ultimately, My business partner and I went our separate ways due to unfortunate disagreements, and he retains the rod operation and label, and Im moving on with my new busines with the other products we planned to produce, as well as building customs and limitted production for a few other tackle companies.
So, basically, Ive already created my own worst competition, by training and teaching all of my tips, tricks, tools, jigs...etc...That Ive learned working in this industry over the last 20 years, in hopes creating a successful business for myself. My former business partner is not a rodbuilder, and knows nothing about building rods, or how to do the Tiger Wrap. The rodbuilder that remains with the company recognizes that the Tiger Wrap was something that I concieved and perfected over many years, well before I started the company, and has promised secrecy, and continues to use it.
Honestly, When I fisrt started doing the Tiger Wrap, I just thought it was cool looking, built a few rods just for the heck of it, and didnt think it would be as popular among my usual customers as it turned out to be. I was suprised when other rodbuilders started contacting me asking how its done. I figured id just keep it to myself for a while....milk it for what it worth so to speak. I thougt it would just be a mater of time before someone figured it out and starded copying it anyway. Once I got my company website up, and started posting pics of rods on different message boards, I recieved TONS of e-mail from rodbuilders asking where I get that patterned thread, LOL. Then I typically respond with the fact is done with only standard solid color thread. Then guys started posting on message boards, asking other builders how its done. they would usually get replies like "Amazing Clemmens Wrap", "marbling", "magic markers", "varigated thread"...etc. I honestly thought it was funny, and thought someone would have figured it out already.
So, To respond to Billy V's reply.....Yes, Im a business man, Yes, it is my signature wrap. But its also being used by someone else, so it kinda negates the "signature wrap" part of it for me. I prefer my quality and pride in workmanship to be my signature. Yes, its true I wont get anything other than recognition. Of course it would be cool to have a tiny piece history in this craft that I truly love....who wouldnt? Besides, I think someones gonna figure this out sooner or later, and turn it loose on the internet anyway. Might as well strike while the irons hot! I dont intend to let it loose on the boards, I would rather it benefit this forum in some way. Just when I think Ive learned all there is to know about rodbuilding, I learn something new here every time I log on, and from Rodmaker, I dont mind giving back. If Tom is interested, I think Rodmaker would be a great venue. If this sparked even a few new subscriptions it would benefit in a small way.

Date: April 05, 2006 11:05PM

Scott,

Your last post has convinced me that you are, "a class act". May your business venture prosper beyond your dreams!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2006 12:13AM

Hey Scott when does the article come out? Thanks for showing it to me at FH Show. I have been away for a while with my father who fell on Monday following the show and I have been in LA ever since. Started a wrap while there and will send pic when done. I tried to send you an email today buy didnt go through so if you have time drop me a line. Looking forward to the article. I have kept my promise and those who have asked fully understand and appreciate the reason for the temporary delay in finding out how it is accomplished. Wish I could talk to you more because I have some other variations in mind.

By the way Scott isnt keeping it a secret , He just wants to present it under his own name as well he should because he has advanced the technique. I am glad he has a great source to publish his work and get the recognition he deserves plus documentation as to what he has added to our craft.

Stan you are right. I had the opportunity to spend quite some time with Scott at our show and he was definetely one of the more pleasant and egoless rodbuilders I have been around in a long time. Definetely first class.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2006 12:16AM

Hey Scott when does the article come out? Thanks for showing it to me at FH Show. I have been away for a while with my father who fell on Monday following the show and I have been in LA ever since. Started a wrap while there and will send pic when done. I tried to send you an email today buy didnt go through so if you have time drop me a line. Looking forward to the article. I have kept my promise and those who have asked fully understand and appreciate the reason for the temporary delay in finding out how it is accomplished. Wish I could talk to you more because I have some other variations in mind.

By the way Scott isnt keeping it a secret , He just wants to present it under his own name as well he should because he has advanced the technique. I am glad he has a great source to publish his work and get the recognition he deserves plus documentation as to what he has added to our craft.

Stan you are right. I had the opportunity to spend quite some time with Scott at our show and he was definetely one of the more pleasant and egoless rodbuilders I have been around in a long time. Definetely first class.

Double post and I dont know how to remove it. HELP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2006 12:18AM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 07:15AM

Stan, Thanks for the kind words.

Doc, welcome back! Sorry to hear about Pops...Hope all is well. I havnt finished the write-up yet, need some time to work on it with a clear head, been hectic here lately. As of now I dont have a confirmed publication. I want to give Tom first right of refusal. I need to get in contact with him still.

E-mail has been actin up the last few days....something steming from my server...try again, scott@getbentsportfishing.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2006 08:44AM

Jim,

I started and own this forum and have a pretty good idea what the purpose of it is, and it will never be a substitute for RodMaker Magazine. Not even close.

It costs me about $23,000 per month to keep the magazine and this website going. I'm not going to jeopardize either by taking information that was researched and paid for by the magazine and making it public here before it has appeared in the medium for which is was intended. Nor can certain things be done justice to on an interent forum in the same manner that they can be in a printed format such as RodMaker.

I don't know what Scott intends to do with the particular article he is writing. But I agree with Mike that it is his information and there is no reason for him to give it away. We all like the idea of sharing and providing these bits of information but sometimes it gets carried too far - everybody wants something for nothing. You have no idea how many people have told me that they won't subscribe to the magazine because they'd prefer to wait until I put the same articles up on the library page so they can get the information for free. Trouble is, RodMaker presents the majority of the new techniques in the craft today and it costs me a great deal of money to bring them to the craft in the pages of the magazine. If the magazine ever goes away, so too does most of the trickle down information you see on these various forums.

Please don't take this as any sort of offense aimed at you - it's not. But I do want to remind folks once in a while, that while this information may seem free, it costs someone a great deal on the originating end.

I also enjoy sharing information and my record with this forum and it's related features should put me above reproach when it comes to anyone suggesting that I'm not sharing enough information. But I also respect folks like Scott and others who have created tricks and techniques that they may wish to keep for themselves or use for their own purposes in whatever manner they see fit. Remember, many of these guys are in business and they cannot afford to give away everything they know. That doesn't make them bad guys, anymore than it makes the folks at Coca Cola bad guys for not sharing their cola formula with their competitors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2006 08:50AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.137.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:04AM

I can totally understand that. If you remember I was one of those that said you were giving to much away for free.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:29PM

I try to provide a resource that does give away quite a bit, but at the same time we all have to remember that no one is required to give away anything and it does not make them a bad guy if they don't. Overall, more builders are apt to share than not, but when it happens that someone has something they want to keep to themselves that's their right to do so.

Much of what I provide in RodMaker costs money ( a lot of it) to produce in nice fashion and disseminate to the craft. My printer doesn't give me a free ride and thus I can't give the builders a free ride on those articles.

Not a big deal, really. Just something that comes up from time to time.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster